A Japanese tourist who had a ticket to visit Peru’s Machu Picchu World Heritage Site since March was finally able to visit the ruins of the Inca Citadel on Saturday.
Jesse Takayama entered after making a special request while stranded during the coronavirus outbreak in a town near the mountains at the site built more than 500 years ago.
“He had come to Peru with the dream of being able to enter there”, declared Alejandro Neyra, the Minister of Culture, during a virtual press conference. “The Japanese citizen entered with our park manager so that he could do so before returning to his country.”
CORONAVIRUS: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Peru has so far reported 33,305 coronavirus-related deaths.
South American nation has the highest COVID-19 death rate per capita of any country in the world, says John Hopkins University – and doctors believe the country’s flawed testing approach is one reason .
For years, Peru has invested a smaller portion of its GDP in public health than others in the region. As COVID-19 approaches, glaring gaps in Peru have become evident.
High levels of poverty and people who depend on the daily wages of informal work have complicated the government’s efforts to impose a strict quarantine, further jeopardizing Peru’s ability to respond effectively to the virus.
The virus has killed the country’s travel industry – particularly its main event. Machu Picchu will be reopened to domestic and foreign tourists in November at 30% of its normal capacity of 675 people per day.
CLICK HERE FOR FULL CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE
After seven months, Takayama was delighted to have had the chance to visit him.
“It’s so amazing! Thank you! Takayama said in a video recorded at the top of Machu Picchu mountain.