Owners of popular Liverpool restaurant say their ‘anxiety is hard to capture’

0
14


The owners of a popular restaurant in Liverpool have denounced the current lockdown restrictions and said “the worry and anxiety for ourselves, staff and suppliers is hard to grasp”. In a moving letter, Peter and Elaine Kinsella, the owners of the Catalan bar and Lunya deli, said the jobs of nearly 70 people were at stake before the government announcements.

So far, all restaurants, pubs and bars across the country have been asked to close at 10 p.m. More locally, in the Liverpool city area, restrictions are tighter as two households are not allowed to meet indoors.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to announce new restrictions for Merseyside tomorrow, fearing tighter rules will be put in place for reception venues.

Peter and Elaine said: “In our 30 years of running a business, we have never experienced a week like this.

“We’ve had a week of constantly evolving government information on what we can and can’t do, when we can be open and when we can’t.

Staying on top of the news has never been more important, so subscribe to the Liverpool Echo newsletter now. Twice a day, seven days a week, we’ll deliver the greatest stories straight to your inbox.

We’ll also send out special emails for the latest news that matters. You won’t miss a thing.

How do I register?

It’s free, easy, and doesn’t take any time at all.

  1. First click on this link to our newsletter registration center.
  2. Once you’re there, put your email address where it’s listed at the top, then click the News button. There are also other newsletters if you want them too.
  3. When you’ve made your choice, tap the Update Preferences button at the bottom.

“It was all gleaned from trying to read all the newspapers, listen to all the news channels and watch all the TV news channels. It looks like the government is deliberately trying to confuse us all.

“This is not a political statement, don’t worry, but you must be wondering what’s going on. We are very upset with the way we and the rest of the industry are being treated.

“Last Monday, it was disclosed, we would be closed on Friday. On Wednesday it was disclosed that we will be closed on Monday. This weekend, the government disclosed that we will be closed on Wednesday, but the pubs certainly will. and the anxiety for ourselves, staff and suppliers is hard to grasp.



Lunya on Hanover Street participated in the Eat Out to Help Out program

“Last Wednesday, we reserved one out of two tables yesterday (Saturday). However, at the end of the day, we welcomed over 300 guests. Imagine trying to plan on that basis. Even now we don’t know if we should order something today for the week ahead! But rest assured that we are always open and as safe and hygienic as possible. ”

They added: “The jobs of almost 70 people are at stake for us, and we care about every staff member and feel a huge responsibility as an employer.

“This state of uncertainty we find ourselves in now due to the current rules means that every day we suffer catastrophic losses (we are not alone, all other restaurants are).

Keep up to date with coronavirus news in your area by adding your zip code below:

“We believe in many ways that the entire sector would be better off with a temporary shutdown for a few weeks (with adequate and targeted government financial support), to allow infection rates to drop and head towards Christmas in. from November. know what awaits us? no matter what, we’ll be ready.

“But, our mood is good. We have never felt so loved and supported. We love serving great food and drinks to those who can join us, or deliver them to your home, or deliver packages for your work.

“We cannot thank you for the lovely messages of support we receive and all the business that lies ahead. This is the only reason we are still here. Thank you very much, x ”

During the last lockdown, Lunya’s deli remained open – much to the delight of supporters and customers.

The company said that if it was asked to close again, the restaurant would be closed.

The charcuterie, with its entire range available, will remain open, they added.

Their online store will continue to make deliveries and take out coffees, pints and sangria will also remain available.

If allowed, the venue said it would also keep its terrace open for coffees and snacks.

Local leaders have been locked in talks with the government over the weekend over new restrictions for the entire virus-affected region, which will be announced by the prime minister tomorrow.

Mr Johnson is expected to reveal more details of the local lockdown measures in a speech.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here