A Roman Catholic diocese and an Orthodox Jewish group are both suing New York Governor Andrew Cuomo over his latest coronavirus restrictions that limit religious gatherings to 10 people or fewer.
ORTHODOX JEWISH PROTESTERS BLOW CUOMO, DE BLASIO ON THE NEW CORONAVIRUS RESTRICTIONS
Cuomo’s new rules, which came into effect Friday in nine neighborhoods that have seen a significant increase in coronavirus cases, are an example of “explicitly targeting religious institutions and communities,” Agudath Israel of America said in a lawsuit Thursday.
The grassroots group went on to say that government mandates interfere with the ability of worshipers to “fulfill their religious obligations.”
The lawsuit says the group is okay with social distancing and wearing masks to protect against the virus, but want places of worship to remain open.
Orthodox Jews, who have several religious holidays coming up, have been arguing with Cuomo for days after he closed schools and businesses in the predominantly Jewish neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens in New York City.
Protesters flouting social distancing and mask warrants took to the streets earlier in the week, burning masks and denouncing the governor’s limitations as an attack on religious freedom.
More progressive Jews rebuffed this claim, urging their communities to follow coronavirus health protocols to bring the virus under control.
CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn is also seeking an injunction against Cuomo’s orders, saying its community has not seen a new wave of positive coronavirus cases and does not agree with the governor’s “general response”.