Ontario records over 1,000 new cases of novel coronavirus for second time in weeklong period

0
20


Ontario is now reporting more than 1,000 new cases of COVID-19, the second time in the past week that the province has recorded more than 1,000 infections in a 24-hour period.

Provincial health officials today confirm 1,015 new cases of the virus in Ontario, up from 896 on Friday.

The seven-day average for new infections in the province is now a record 914, up from 802 last week.

“Locally, there are 325 new cases in Toronto, 282 in Peel, 94 in Ottawa and 88 in York Region,” Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott tweeted on Saturday.

“There are 798 other resolved cases and more than 41,900 completed tests. ”

Ontario’s positivity rate now stands at around 2.4%, up slightly from 2.2 a week ago.

The province also confirmed nine new deaths today, bringing the total number of virus-related deaths to 3,136.

Five of the deaths reported on Saturday are residents of long-term care homes.

Hospitalizations continue to increase steadily in the province.

According to centrally confirmed data, 320 people infected with COVID-19 are currently being treated in hospitals in Ontario.

Of these patients, 73 were admitted to intensive care units and 54 are breathing using a ventilator.

The rise in new infections comes a day after Premier Doug Ford told reporters he asked public health officials to prepare a plan on how the government could ease restrictions in some of the hot spots of COVID-19 in Ontario starting next weekend.

Gyms and cinemas were closed and bars and restaurants were forced to suspend indoor dining in Toronto, Peel Region and Ottawa on October 10 when the Ontario government restored all three regions to a modified version of step 2 for 28 days.

The 28-day period will expire on November 7.

“Based on the latest evidence and based on what I’m seeing and modeling, I’ve asked our public health experts to come back next week to a plan to start easing restrictions in a way that allows safe for businesses to start reopening after the 28-day period is over, ”Ford said at a press conference Friday.

“I want health officials to come up with a plan that allows businesses to safely reopen because we don’t know how long this virus will stay with us.”

Modeling data released by Ford’s senior public health advisers earlier this week indicates that while Ontario may have avoided the worst-case scenario previously predicted for the province, Ontario will continue to experience a high number of cases of 800 to 1200 new infections per day throughout the month of November.

Modeling also showed that 14% of known COVID-19 outbreaks in Toronto were attributed to bars and restaurants, while only 3% and 8% of known outbreaks in Peel Region and York Region were respectively related to bars and restaurants. .

It should be noted that in Toronto, a large number of positive cases have no known epidemiologic link, meaning public health officials are not sure where they were exposed to the virus.

That number rose to 65% on Thursday, according to data released by the province.

“The numbers continue to rise, but they are growing more slowly,” Dr. Barbara Yaffe, Ontario’s deputy chief medical officer of health, said on Friday of the daily count of cases in the province.

“What he’s telling us is that maybe we can consider changing the conditions, but that doesn’t mean everyone can relax on whatever we all need to do. “

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here