Ontario COVID-19 cases top 1,000 for second time in a week

0
28


Ontario reported 1,015 new cases of COVID-19 on Saturday, the second highest number since the outbreak began in late January.The new figures also mark the second time the daily number of cases has exceeded 1,000 in less than a week.

The Ontario Ministry of Health said the majority of the new cases were detected in the province’s four hot spots:

  • Toronto: 325.
  • Peel Region: 282.
  • Ottawa: 94.
  • York Region: 88.

A number of other areas also saw double-digit increases:

  • Hamilton: 41 – an increase of 27 from Friday.
  • Halton Region: 31.
  • Durham Region: 23.
  • Niagara: 23.
  • Region of Waterloo: 22.
  • Simcoe Muskoka: 20.
  • Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph: 13.
  • Windsor-Essex: 10.

Ontario Reports 9 New Deaths

Meanwhile, the health ministry said Ontario’s network of community, commercial and hospital labs had processed 41,920 COVID-19 test samples since its last update, the highest number since last Saturday, but still in progress. below the daily capacity of the province.

Saturday’s new figures bring the provincial total of COVID-19 cases to 75,730.

Public health officials have also recorded nine new deaths linked to the virus in the past 24 hours.

Saturday’s update brings the province’s seven-day average, which offers a clearer picture of long-term trends in new cases rather than daily comparisons, to a new high of 914.

Across the province, 320 people are hospitalized with COVID-19, 73 people in intensive care and 54 of them on ventilators.

Cases among residents of long-term care facilities jumped 44 from Friday and now stand at 6,873, as the number of long-term care homes battling COVID-19 outbreaks has fallen by six to 72.

The province is also reporting 798 other resolved cases.

Officials said the total number of COVID-19 cases in Ontario is heading in the right direction despite numbers that have remained high over the past week.

So far this week, each day has seen more new infections than the same day last week.

Ford asks advisers for possible reopening plan

Saturday’s update comes a day after Premier Doug Ford announced that a plan to ease COVID-19 restrictions in hot spots across the province will arrive next week.

Ford said on Friday it had asked health advisers for a strategy to allow closed businesses to safely reopen.

The premier said the restrictions imposed on Toronto, Peel Region and Ottawa on October 10 were still intended to be a short-term response to the surge in the number of cases in those areas.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said he would ask health experts in the province to develop a plan to allow more businesses to reopen in areas hardest hit by COVID-19 after a 28-day period of tighter public health restrictions expiring next month. (Evan Mitsui / CBC)

“I really believe if we didn’t make this decision… we would have a different conversation today,” said Ford. “We might have a conversation like France or Spain. ”

The restrictions were in place for 28 days and included closing gyms and banning eating indoors in restaurants and bars.

Any easing of restrictions in the coming days would follow projections released Thursday by provincial health officials who suggested the growth of the COVID-19 pandemic was slowing in Ontario, but could quickly worsen again.

Projections indicate that the province is expected to settle in a range of 800 to 1,200 new daily cases in the coming weeks.

Toronto likely to see new measures after 28 days: Mayor

Toronto Mayor John Tory said despite the stubbornly high number of cases in Toronto, the city continues to work with health officials to determine how best to approach the reopening of gyms and restaurants in the city. interior when the city’s 28-day restrictions end.

” Of course [won’t be] back to normal, when you see hundreds of people still getting the virus in Toronto alone, ”he told reporters on Saturday.

Tory said the city is developing measures that will keep people safe, while ensuring that business owners “don’t endure such a sacrifice they have had to make for a long time.”

Meanwhile, the mayor is urging residents to follow public health advice this year to skip Halloween for those living in COVID-19 hot spots.

“The main concern we would have would be with the large gatherings,” Tory said.

“We strongly advise against this happening. “

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here