Ontario braces for more than 900 new COVID-19 cases, prompting emergency cabinet meeting for Doug Ford

0
84


Ontario will report its highest daily number of new COVID-19 cases on Friday, while Premier Doug Ford’s office will hold an emergency meeting to consider tougher measures to try to contain the spread of the coronavirus, a learned from CBC News.Two sources with knowledge of the data told CBC News that Friday’s daily tally of new confirmed COVID-19 cases will exceed 900, breaking the previous record of 797 set Thursday.

This would be in line with the modeling of epidemiologists who predicted last month that the second wave of the pandemic in Ontario was accelerating at a rate that has allowed the province to hit 1,000 new cases per day by mid-October.

The precise number of cases is to be officially released shortly after 10 a.m. and the emergency cabinet meeting is scheduled for 11 a.m.

Government pandemic advisers will recommend Cabinet to place Ontario’s COVID-19 hotspots under an amended version of the province’s Stage 2 restrictions, the sources say.

The recommendation is to apply the stricter measures in Toronto, the sources said. However, sources differed as to whether the restrictions would also apply to all other public health units in the Greater Toronto Area or to Ottawa. The nation’s capital has seen a sharp rise in new cases of COVID-19 in recent weeks, as well as outbreaks and deaths in long-term care homes.

For Stage 2 of Ontario’s plan to reopen, which was in place in May and June, bars and restaurants were banned from seating customers indoors, and theaters and gyms were closed. .

The province’s chief medical officer of health, Dr David Williams, told a press conference Thursday afternoon that he had recommended tighter restrictions on the cabinet, but declined to give details.

Toronto’s medical officer of health Dr.Eileen de Villa last week called on the province to order a 28-day shutdown of indoor restaurant service, as well as indoor fitness and recreation facilities, in an attempt to curb the spread of COVID-19 in the city.

This is all coming with many hospitals across the province full to capacity and intensive care units in some hospitals in the GTA reporting few beds available.

The Ontario Hospital Association urged the province on September 28 to return the GTA and Ottawa to stage 2, with restrictions on indoor restaurants and bars, places of worship, weddings, gyms, cinemas and other non-essential businesses.

The province’s COVID-19 testing system is also under strain, with appointments to assessment centers in hardest-hit areas being made shortly after they become available and some people having to wait days to get made. test. Last week, the Department of Health changed the criteria for taking a test, limiting eligibility primarily to people with symptoms of COVID-19 or those who have been exposed to a confirmed case.

Almost a tenth of Ontario’s 4,800 public schools have reported cases of COVID-19 and a similar proportion of the province’s 630 long-term care homes are struggling with coronavirus outbreaks.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here