“No Time To Die”: the James Bond film delayed until 2021

0
78


MGM, Universal and Bond producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli said in a statement Friday that “No Time To Die,” the 25th film in the James Bond series, will be postponed until April 2, 2021 “to be seen. by a global theatrical audience. ”

“We understand that the delay will be disappointing for our fans, but we now look forward to sharing No Time To Die next year,” they added.

The new chapter in the lucrative Bond series, which grossed nearly $ 5 billion worldwide, was the first major film to be delayed due to the pandemic. It was scheduled to hit US theaters on April 10, but in March its release was pushed back to November 25.

The decision to postpone the film a second time comes as the coronavirus continues to rage across the United States and a second wave of infections as well threatens Europe’s fragile recovery. US President Donald Trump now has Covid-19, as do several senior White House aides, introducing even more uncertainty into the upcoming election and talks about more Washington’s economic stimulus.

Cinemas may not survive

The Motion Picture Association and other industry groups last week urged Congress to prioritize financial aid for theaters. “If the status quo persists, 69% of small and medium-sized film companies will be forced to file for bankruptcy or close permanently, and 66% of theater jobs will be lost,” they said in a letter signed by several Hollywoods. heavyweights, including James Cameron, Guy Ritchie and Martin Scorsese.

Christopher Nolan’s spy thriller “Tenet” received a lackluster response from moviegoers, as did “Unhinged” and “The New Mutants,” signaling that audiences may not be ready to return to the movies.

In order to attract people return, AMC (AMC), the world’s largest movie theater chain, sold tickets for just 15 cents on Aug.20 when more than 100 theaters reopened in the United States. Most of the company’s 1,000 theaters are now open, but at a capacity of 40% or less.

U.S. box office sales remain near the bottom, hitting just $ 11.3 million on October 1 from a 2020 high of around $ 247 million on January 23, according to the CNN Business Recovery Tracker.

AMC has previously expressed “substantial doubt” about its ability to remain in business and recorded a loss of $ 2.7 billion in the first half of this year.

Cineworld, the owner of Regal Cinemas, said last week, it may need to raise more cash early next year if a second wave of coronavirus cases causes “extended” shutdowns in the United States and Britain. “There can be no certainty about the future impact of Covid-19 on the group,” he said in a statement. The company’s auditor, PwC, questioned Cineworld’s ability to stay in business.

Cineworld said it has reopened 561 of its 778 theaters so far. Of those that remain closed, 200 are located in the United States, 11 in Israel and six in the United Kingdom.

PwC said the company was particularly “sensitive to the possibility of opening the remaining theaters in New York and California by the end of October, and further delays in the list of films currently planned.”

– Frank Pallotta and Streisand Neto contributed to the reporting.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here