According to the province’s COVID-19 dashboard, 12 of the new cases were identified in the Moncton area (Zone 1), seven in the Campbellton area (Zone 5) and one was identified in the Fredericton area (zone 3).
The new case in the Fredericton area (zone 3) is linked to travel outside the Atlantic bubble.
Nine of the new cases in the Moncton area (Zone 1) are linked to the outbreak at Manoir Notre-Dame, and three are under investigation. All are self-isolated.
All new cases in the Campbellton area (Zone 5) are linked to a regional outbreak, and the seven people are self-isolating.
“We ask that you do not enter and leave these areas at this time, except for essential services, as we must do all we can to stop the spread of this virus,” said Dr. Jennifer Russell, chief of the New Brunswick. medical officer of health.
Saturday’s new cases concern:
- someone in their 50s in the Fredericton area (zone 3)
a person in their twenties in the Moncton area (zone 1)
two people in their 60s in the Moncton area (zone 1)
two people in their 60s in the Moncton area (zone 1)
four people in their 80s in the Moncton area (zone 1)
three people over the age of 90 in the Moncton area (zone 1)
a person under the age of 19 in the Campbellton area (zone 5)
a person in their twenties in the Campbellton area (zone 5)
someone in their 30s in the Campbellton area (zone 5)
a person in their 50s in the Campbellton area (zone 5)
two people in their sixties in the Campbellton area (zone 5)
a person in their 60s in the Campbellton area (zone 5)
To date, 84,081 tests have been performed in the province.
SECOND POSITIVE CASE AT THE NB SECONDARY SCHOOL
Education and Early Childhood Development Minister Dominic Cardy said a second positive case of COVID-19 has been confirmed at a New Brunswick high school.
The new case has been confirmed at the École Communautaire Académie Notre-Dame in Dalhousie, NB
Cardy says public health is working on contact tracing and the steps going forward will be provided soon.
Many safety protocols have been updated for public schools in the Orange Zones, including the improved use of masks that will be required from Kindergarten to Grade 12. All new policies apply to all students, teachers and staff, and details can be found on the Government of New Brunswick website.
The first confirmed case in a New Brunswick high school was at Sugarloaf High School.
In a post on the Sugarloaf High School Facebook page, Principal Michael O’Toole confirmed that a positive case had been identified at the school.
In Friday’s update, New Brunswick Premier Blaine Higgs announced that all high school students will learn remotely on Tuesday, October 13 and Wednesday, October 14.
Quebec students will go full-time online starting Tuesday.
School staff strive to provide students with access to personal effects and anything else they may need for online learning.
O’Toole added that anyone with symptoms of COVID-19 should call Tele-Care 811 or register online for a test.
EXPOSURE TO COVID-19 AT THE MONCTON RESTAURANT
A Moncton restaurant has been forced to close after a kitchen worker was diagnosed with COVID-19.
In a Facebook post on Friday, the Igloo Beverage Room pub said the employee showed no signs of the virus and tested positive during a routine hospital visit.
The restaurant closed immediately to disinfect all areas.
Public health has been contacted and as a result all employees are being tested for COVID-19.
There is no news of the restaurant reopening.
CHANGE AT THE ORANGE LEVEL
At midnight on Friday, the Moncton area (Zone 1) and the Campbellton area (Zone 5) returned to orange levels as part of the province’s COVID-19 recovery plan.
Switching to Orange means residents in those areas have to stay in a two-household bubble, but unlike the previous version of the Orange level, they can now extend to caregivers or immediate family members.
Personal service businesses such as barbers, hairdressers, and spas must close. Gyms and health centers will also have to close immediately, as will casinos, bingo halls, cinemas, theaters and arcades.
Restaurants, bars and retail stores can continue to operate under their previously approved COVID-19 operational plan.
Outdoor gatherings should be limited to 10 people with physical distance.
Religious services, indoor weddings and funerals are permitted with 10 people or less.
COVID-19 CASE IN NEW BRUNSWICK
New Brunswick now has 258 confirmed cases of COVID-19. Of these, 199 are recovered and two people have died.
There are currently three people in the hospital, one of whom is currently in intensive care.
The number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 is broken down by New Brunswick’s seven health zones:
Zone 1 – Moncton area: 80 confirmed cases (33 active cases)
Zone 2 – Saint John area: 31 confirmed cases (2 active cases)
Zone 3 – Fredericton area: 60 confirmed cases (2 active cases)
Zone 4 – Edmundston region: 8 confirmed cases
Zone 5 – Campbellton region: 73 confirmed cases (20 active cases)
Zone 6 – Bathurst region: 3 confirmed cases
Zone 7 – Miramichi region: 3 confirmed cases
The province recently announced that residents can take an online self-assessment if they have mild to moderate symptoms of COVID-19.
VEHICLE TRAFFIC INFORMATION
The New Brunswick online dashboard also includes traffic information for vehicles attempting to enter the New Brunswick border.
2,087 personal vehicles and 1,096 commercial vehicles attempted to cross the border into the province on Friday.
Of the vehicles attempting to cross the border, 43 were refused entry, for a refusal rate of 1.4%.