New Brunswick health officials report 20 new cases of COVID-19 on Saturday – New Brunswick

0
25


New Brunswick health officials reported 20 new cases of the coronavirus in a provincial update on Saturday.The province says 57 cases of COVID-19 are now active in the province.

Health chief Dr. Jennifer Russell says 12 of the new cases have been detected in Moncton.

Nine of Moncton’s new cases are linked to the outbreak at the Manoir Notre-Dame special care home. Three other cases are under investigation.

Read more:

Moncton Igloo beverage room closes, employee tests positive for COVID-19

Seven cases have been detected in the Campbellton area and are all linked to the regional outbreak.

Russell was joined by Education Minister Dominic Cardy, who said the Sugarloaf High School case reported on Friday was the first case to be linked to a public school in New Brunswick.

The story continues under the ad

As a result, the school was closed on Friday and students will learn remotely from October 13-14. Quebec students will switch to full-time online learning next week.

Read more:

Campbellton High School reported COVID-19 as numbers rise in New Brunswick

On Saturday, Cardy said a second school case had been detected at Académie Notre-Dame de Dalhousie in Zone 5.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]
The province said the school community had been notified and public health was tracing the contacts.

Premier Blaine Higgs announced Friday that the Campbellton and Moncton areas are returning to the orange phase of the COVID-19 recovery plan.

This means that schools in zones 1 and 5 will have to improve the use of masks again.








Coronavirus: New Brunswick begins to see COVID-19 cases appear in public schools

Coronavirus: New Brunswick begins to see COVID-19 cases appear in public schools

Kindergarten to Grade 8 students should wear masks throughout the day unless they are quietly working at their desks, participating in physical activity, or eating and drinking.

The story continues under the ad

Students in Grades 9 to 12 are required to wear face masks at all times, unless they are physically active or eating and drinking.

“Students of all ages and levels are required to wear masks at all times on the school bus, even if they are sitting alone or with a family member,” a public health statement said.

Additionally, all field trips in both regions are canceled as they remain in the orange phase.

In Saturday’s update, Russell advised New Brunswickers to avoid traveling to the Moncton and Campbellton areas except for essential service.

“Traveling for hair styling is not an essential service,” she says.

Russell said she knew many post-secondary students were hoping to return home to these areas for Thanksgiving.

“If you haven’t already left, we really ask that you don’t go to these areas at this time as we really need to slow the spread,” she said.

The story continues under the ad

In total, New Brunswick has confirmed 258 cases of COVID-19 and recorded 199 recoveries.

Three people are currently hospitalized with the virus, one of whom is in intensive care.

Editor’s Note: This article has been updated to note that New Brunswick has experienced 199 recoveries from the coronavirus. Incorrect information appeared in an earlier version of the article. Global News regrets the error.

Show link »


© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here