- Armenia and Azerbaijan have accused each other of violating the newly agreed truce.
- The Defense Ministry of the Nagorno-Karabakh region said the death toll among its military has risen to 673.
- Armenia and Azerbaijan agreed to a ceasefire, which entered into force at midnight Sunday (20:00 GMT Saturday), after mediation by the co-chairs of the Minsk Group.
Sunday October 18
09:10 GMT – Armenia suffers heavy losses on the front line, says Azeri army
Armenia suffered heavy casualties as Azerbaijan advanced along the front line of the battle, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said.
Refusing allegations of heavy casualties from Azerbaijan’s side, the ministry said that the Azerbaijani army exercised “operational superiority across the front,” the ministry statement said.
Clashes erupted between the two countries on September 27, and Armenia has since continued its attacks on civilians and Azerbaijani forces, even violating a humanitarian ceasefire that went into effect last week.
07:50 GMT – Azerbaijan: “Armenian forces seriously violated the agreement”
Azerbaijan has accused Armenian forces of violating the ceasefire in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region just hours after it entered into force at midnight.
“The Armenian forces have seriously violated another agreement,” the Baku defense ministry said in a statement, accusing them of firing artillery and mortars in different directions and of launching morning attacks on along the front line.
Speaking from Ujar in Azerbaijan, Hoda Abdel-Hamid of Al Jazeera said: “Azeris point fingers at Armenia, claiming that although Armenia has accepted the ceasefire, it has tried to resume the lands it lost to Azerbaijan. [during the fighting]. »
07:31 GMT – Nagorno-Karabakh says death toll among its military increases
The Nagorno-Karabakh region’s defense ministry said on Sunday it had recorded 40 more casualties among its military, bringing the military death toll to 673 since fighting with Azeri forces erupted on September 27.
The fighting reached its worst level since the 1990s, when some 30,000 people were killed.
06:40 GMT – Armenia, Azerbaijan accused of violating new ceasefire agreement
Armenia and Azerbaijan have accused each other of violating a new humanitarian ceasefire in the fighting over the ethnic and Armenian-controlled Azerbaijani enclave of Nagorno-Karabakh.
Shushan Stepanyan, a spokeswoman for the Armenian Defense Ministry, said on Twitter that Azerbaijan fired artillery shells and rockets in the early hours of Sunday.
Speaking from Yerevan, Al Jazeera’s Bernard Smith said the truce was just a humanitarian truce designed to allow the two sides to exchange bodies and prisoners of war.
“Armenia particularly needs this ceasefire to work because of the enormous internal pressure on its rulers,” Smith said, explaining that the pressure was linked to the large number of people and land it had lost to Azerbaijan.