Besides the continued effect this will have on theaters, which are making the most of their box office from evening screenings, a three-day Cannes Film Festival scheduled for next week has immediately responded by adjusting its schedule.
Quibi’s Jeffrey Katzenberg and Meg Whitman detail ‘clear-eyed’ decision to arrest him
A festival representative told Deadline that the first screenings originally scheduled for 7 p.m. on October 27-29 will now be pushed back to 6 p.m. Other screenings will take place as planned during the day. A dinner previously scheduled to follow the opening ceremony on the 27th was kibosh. The Cannes Film Festival was canceled earlier this year due to the coronavirus crisis, but nonetheless hosted an official 2020 selection which saw some films make it to other events with the Cannes label.
Overall, the curfew extension announced tonight means the exhibition will feel another pinch – and it will do so for at least six weeks. This past weekend, the number of admissions was up from the previous one, despite the curfew of Paris and many other major cities. However, newer versions have been a factor including Troll world tour, a family-friendly animated film that wouldn’t rely on late screenings and has made $ 2 million in 623 locations.
Still, there are concerns for the exposure. Namely: the Minister of Culture, Roselyne Bachelot, declared this evening that 30 million euros had been devoted to aid to the film industry.
“Our goal,” she said, “is to ensure that theaters don’t close. For that, the film releases must be maintained… We need culture, perhaps not anymore in this time of crisis.