Halloween in New Brunswick with new COVID-19 guidelines

0
163


It’s not a trick. Halloween is expected to take place in New Brunswick – with door-to-door tricks – but with a few recommended changes due to COVID-19.As long as the province remains in the yellow phase of recovery, there are steps people can take to protect themselves and others, the chief medical officer of health said. Jennifer Russell.

Cleanliness is the key, she says.

People handing out treats should sanitize their hands between visitors, keep heavily affected areas such as doorknobs and railings clean, and consider offering non-food treats such as stickers or crayons.

Foodies should wash their hands before leaving and when they return home, Russell said during Friday’s COVID-19 briefing in Fredericton.

They should also avoid contact for several days with family members and friends who are considered to be at higher risk of contracting COVID-19, she said.

Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Jennifer Russell said Halloween and Thanksgiving might look different this year, but with some planning it is safe for people to enjoy these special occasions. (Government of New Brunswick)

Other recommendations include:

  • Don’t wear Halloween masks, only COVID-19 masks.
  • Consider hosting costume parades so kids can show off their costumes while maintaining their physical distance.
  • Deceptions should be confined to a single neighborhood and keep track of their destination.
  • Do not allow children to take candy from a treat bowl unless the treats are arranged so that children do not come into contact with other treats when they are taking theirs. Making individual treat bags is a good option.
  • Those who do not want to participate should put up a sign, such as: Have a Happy and Safe Halloween; no visitors please.

Keep Thanksgiving gatherings small

Russell also offered Thanksgiving advice on Friday, recommending people keep their gatherings small and hold them outside, weather permitting.

Informal indoor and outdoor gatherings of up to 50 people are allowed, provided public health measures are followed, and the host is advised to keep a guest list.

Everyone should wash their hands before preparing food or eating, she says.

Anyone who is not feeling well should stay home and if a guest is not feeling well they should cancel or postpone their reservation.

“It’s just not worth the risk,” Russell told reporters.

“It’ll be a different Thanksgiving, but with a little thought and planning it can still be special. “

0 new cases, 5 active cases

No new cases of COVID-19 were recorded for the seventh consecutive day on Friday, and another case has recovered.

There are now five active cases of respiratory illness in the province – three in the Moncton area (Zone 1), one is attributed to the Fredericton area (Zone 3), although the infected person is actually in Ontario in convalescence and one is in the Bathurst area (zone 6).

An infected Quebec resident who works in Campbellton is counted in Quebec numbers. Contact tracing is underway in New Brunswick.

A total of 661 COVID-19 tests were completed on Thursday, bringing the total number of tests carried out since the start of the pandemic in March to 78,635.

To date, there have been 200 cases of COVID-19 in the province, with 193 recoveries and two deaths.

Municipalities wanted advice

Earlier this month, some municipalities said they were hoping for advice from the province on how to deal with traps or treatments during a pandemic. The city of Saint John was one of them.

“Participation in Halloween activities is a personal choice and the City of Saint John will not impose any additional measures or guidelines beyond those provided by provincial authorities,” the city said in a statement Friday.

Children should wash their hands before making stuff or treats, when they get home and before eating treats, Public Health advises. (Shutterstock)

People who choose to participate in Halloween activities should follow public health guidelines, he said, and cheaters are urged to respect the wishes of any household that chooses not to participate.

On September 15, Woodstock council voted to ban door-to-door operations.

“This came as a result of some inquiries from some of our city citizens that they did not feel comfortable with the people coming to their doorstep for Halloween and with the COVID restrictions, it was kind of a concern they had, ”Mayor Arthur Slipp said last month.

The COVID committee intervenes

Although no Halloween details were revealed during a panel discussion with the all-party cabinet committee on COVID-19 earlier Friday on CBC. Information Matin Fredericton, Green Party Leader David Coon said it would be a Happy Halloween for everyone.

People’s Alliance leader Kris Austin agreed, saying it was important to allow society to continue as much as possible as long as public health recommendations were followed.

“I think right now it’s just important that society continues, you know, keeping in mind that we’re still in a pandemic and doing the right thing. ”

Roger Melanson, the acting leader of the Liberal Party, said if the recommendation were to go ahead with Halloween, every precaution should be taken.

“And at the end of the day, it’s the decisions of the parents, and with their children, whether or not they would like to do tricks or treats, if that’s the decision to allow.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here