- France, United States and Russia to meet in Geneva
- Turkey says Minsk group should not be involved in conflict mediation
- Azerbaijan says city of Ganja bombed by Armenian forces, killing civilian
- Baku claims 30 Azeri civilians killed so far, but fails to release military casualties
- Nagorno-Karabakh says military death toll rises to 350
11:30 GMT – Historic Armenian Cathedral damaged in Karabakh bombing
Armenia said Azerbaijani forces bombed a historic cathedral in the Nagorno-Karabakh town of Shusha, where AFP journalists saw the church suffered severe damage.
There was a gaping hole in the roof of Ghazanchetsots (Saint Savior) Cathedral, an iconic site of the Armenian Apostolic Church.
Rubble was strewn on the floor, benches overturned and the interior was covered with dust from parts of the building’s limestone walls that had been hit. Part of its metal roof had collapsed and fell to the ground outside.
10:10 GMT – Turkey FM comments on Nagorno-Karabakh
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said “the status quo needs to be changed” regarding the conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia, adding that Turkey respects the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan.
Turkey has publicly supported Azerbaijan in the conflict and said it is ready to provide military assistance if Azerbaijan so requests.
Speaking at the annual Globsec forum in Bratislava, Cavusoglu also added that he was against any conflict in the Black Sea region, adding that Turkey does not flirt with Russia and supports Ukraine’s territorial integrity. .
09:09 GMT: – Armenia dismisses head of national security service
Armenia on Thursday sacked Argishti Kyaramyan, the head of its national security service, the Interfax news agency reported citing a presidential decree.
07:45 GMT – France, United States and Russia meet on Nagorno-Karabakh
France, the United States and Russia will step up efforts to end fighting between Azeri and Armenian forces in the South Caucasus by holding talks in Geneva, as fears of a regional war grow.
French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said representatives from Russia, France and the United States would also meet in Moscow on Monday to discuss ways to persuade the warring parties to negotiate a ceasefire. fire. The three countries are co-chairs of the Minsk Group of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), which acts as an intermediary in Nagorno-Karabakh.
Turkey accused the group of neglecting the conflict and said it should not be involved in the mediation.
Le Drian retaliated against Turkey, reiterating accusations – denied by Ankara – that it is involved militarily and saying that this has fueled the “internationalization” of the conflict.
07:30 GMT – New fighting breaks out between Azeris and ethnic Armenians
Ethnic Azerbaijani and Armenian forces fought further clashes in and around the Nagorno-Karabakh region.
Azerbaijan said the town of Ganja was bombed by Armenian forces and a civilian was killed in the Goranboy area. He said other villages had been pulled over by ethnic Armenian forces.
❗️ Late night and morning bombardments of civilian settlements in Ganja, Barda, Aghjabadi, Aghdam, Tartar and Goranboy by #Armeniathe occupying forces. Victims reported. #StopArmenianAggression#StopAttackingCivilians# KarabakhIsAzerbaïdjan
– MFA Azerbaïdjan 🇦🇿 (@AzerbaijanMFA) October 8, 2020
Azeri authorities have reported 30 civilian deaths since fighting erupted on September 27 over Nagorno-Karabakh, a mountain enclave which under international law belongs to Azerbaijan but is populated and ruled by ethnic Armenians.
Azerbaijan also said 143 civilians were injured but did not disclose information about its military losses.
07:20 GMT – Nagorno-Karabakh says death toll among its military rises to 350 since conflict began
The Defense Ministry of the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh, ruled by ethnic Armenians, said it recorded 30 more casualties among its troops, bringing the military toll to 350 since fighting with Azeri forces erupted on September 27.
The fighting reached its worst level since the 1990s, when some 30,000 people were killed.
Hello. Shereena Qazi in Doha and Anealla Safdar in London will bring you the latest updates on the Nagorno-Karabakh crisis today, Thursday 8 October.
Here’s a quick recap:
The fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh continued for a second week (we are now in the 12th day of clashes) as Armenia and Azerbaijan fight for the breakaway region.
So far, the two rivals have ignored international calls for a ceasefire and have accused each other of causing civilian and military casualties since the September 27 clashes.
Around 300 people are believed to have been killed overall, but the actual death toll is believed to be higher.
The main news on Thursday, at least for now, is that France, Russia and the United States will hold talks in Geneva with the aim of defusing the situation.
More on that later.