Former US Embassy worker suspected of sexually assaulting 24 women

0
34


According to federal prosecutors, a former employee of the US Embassy in Mexico allegedly drugged and sexually assaulted up to two dozen women, filming many of them while they were unconscious.Brian Jeffrey Raymond was arrested earlier this month in San Diego, where he had moved after quitting his job in June. He was indicted in a case involving an alleged assault on May 31 and prosecutors say they anticipate more charges involving 23 other women.

The FBI began investigating after Mexican police, responding to a call on May 31, found a woman naked and screaming from the balcony of an apartment rented by the Embassy in Mexico City.

Investigators found more than 400 photos and videos on Raymond’s iCloud account in which he appears to be filming unconscious women, court documents show.

Prosecutors say they now have evidence for charges involving 23 other alleged victims.

Raymond worked for the U.S. government for 23 years in multiple countries, according to court documents. Prosecutors did not say what position he held in Mexico except to say he worked for a US government agency at the embassy.

Roberto Velasco, director general for North America at Mexico’s foreign ministry, said Raymond was the first secretary of the United States, a mid-level diplomatic post.

Mexican authorities have worked with US officials on the investigation that led to Raymond’s arrest “in order to bring to justice a potential series of sexual abuses in both countries,” Velasco said in a statement.

The Mexican government has underlined “its categorical rejection of any form of gender-based violence,” Velasco said.

Photos and videos found

Raymond did not plead, and his defense attorney did not immediately respond to Associated Press phone messages and emails requesting comment. The Daily Beast first reported on the charges.

Neither Embassy officials nor the State Department commented on the case.

Raymond quit his job in mid-June after being questioned about the May 31 incident and his cellphones and laptop were seized, court documents show.

Mexican police reported finding a “naked, hysterical woman screaming desperately for help from the accused’s balcony,” prosecutors said. Raymond had lived there since August 2018.

The victim told investigators she had no idea Raymond was filming her or that he had lowered her bra, exposing her breasts.

The remaining 23 victims were discovered after investigators found hundreds of photos and videos, court documents show.

If found guilty, Raymond could face a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.

Fluent in Spanish and Mandarin, Raymond has “led an exemplary life” of all appearances, according to prosecutors.

“The fact that many victims in the accused’s case were unaware of his behavior until they were shown the videos and photographs taken while they were unconscious is proof of his unique ability to portray a public face very different, ”prosecutors said in their court documents.

He continued to meet with women until September this year in San Diego, according to court documents.

Raymond remains in custody in San Diego, although the case is transferred to Washington. His preliminary hearing was postponed to December 14 because the coronavirus pandemic hampered his new defense attorney’s ability to travel and meet him.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here