Former Minneapolis officer accused of death of George Floyd freed on US $ 1 million bail

0
31


The former Minneapolis cop charged with murder in the death of George Floyd posted bail Wednesday and was released from jail.According to court documents, Derek Chauvin posted a US $ 1 million bond and the Corrections Department confirmed that he was no longer being held on state premises in Oak Park Heights, where he had been held. .

Floyd, a black man handcuffed by police who detained him on suspicion of paying with counterfeit tickets outside of a convenience affair in Minneapolis, died on May 25 after Chauvin, who is white, pressed his knee to his neck for several minutes when Floyd said he couldn’t. breathe.

Floyd’s death was captured in a widely viewed spectator video that sparked protests around the world. Chauvin and three other officers were dismissed. Chauvin is charged with second degree murder and other crimes; Thomas Lane, J. Kueng and Tou Thao are accused of aiding and abetting.

It was not immediately clear where Chauvin got the money to pay his bond. The Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association, which has a legal defense fund, did not provide money for bail, a spokeswoman said. A message left with the union representing the Minneapolis police officers was not returned.

Chauvin had the option of posting bail of $ 1.25 million unconditionally or $ 1 million with conditions. Under the conditions of his release, he:

  • must attend all court appearances;
  • may not have any direct or indirect contact – including on social media – with members of the Floyd’s family;
  • cannot work in law enforcement or security, and must not own firearms ammunition.

The other three officers have previously posted bail amounts of US $ 750,000 and have been released pending trial. Currently, the four men are due to be tried together in March, but the judge is weighing a request to have them tried separately.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here