Cristiano Ronaldo has tested positive for the coronavirus, the Portuguese football federation said today.
The federation said Ronaldo was doing well and showing no symptoms. He didn’t say when he tested positive.
Ronaldo played the 0-0 draw against France in the Nations League on Monday NZT, as well as the 0-0 draw against Spain in a friendly last week.
Ronaldo is isolated and was excluded from the Nations League match against Sweden on Wednesday in Lisbon.
On Tuesday, the Juventus forward posted a photo on Twitter showing him with the rest of the Portuguese squad having a meal together. The players were all close to each other at a table, with Ronaldo apparently taking the photo himself up front.
Along with the tweet, Ronaldo wrote, in Portuguese, “United on and off the pitch! “
Last month, the 35-year-old Ronaldo became the second men’s football player to reach 100 national team goals, after former Iranian striker Ali Daei.
The federation said Ronaldo’s result prompted another round of tests for the rest of the Portuguese squad. He said everyone on the team had tested negative.
Tuesday’s practice session was moved from morning to afternoon so there was time for all the results to come back.
Two other Portuguese players had recently tested positive for COVID-19, José Fonte and Anthony Lopes.
Portugal coach Fernando Santos said last week that the positive results for players “are happening all over the world”.
“We are the most tested people and we have the guarantee that everyone who travels to France with us will be negative,” Santos said ahead of the game against France.
Portugal and France lead Group 3 with seven points each after three matches.
The Portuguese federation did not immediately disclose details of where Ronaldo was isolated, nor how long he was staying.
He could miss Juventus’ Serie A game in Crotone on Saturday and the team’s Champions League opener at Dynamo Kyiv next Tuesday. And depending on his condition and the results of the next tests, he could also miss the long-awaited game against Barcelona on October 28.
Juventus had been isolated after testing positive for two club staff. There has been some controversy that Ronaldo and six other players have been allowed to leave the isolated squad and join their national teams.