Fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh extends into tenth day: live news | Asia

0
58


  • The fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh spills over on the tenth day
  • Syrian President says he can confirm Syrian fighters have been deployed in Nagorno-Karabakh
  • Armenia reports a “quieter night”

10:42 GMT: Turkish FM arrives in Baku

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu has arrived in Baku, where he is due to meet Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev.

The trip comes as Armenia accused Azerbaijan of firing missiles at the Nagorno-Karabakh capital on Monday, while Azerbaijan said several of its cities and its second largest city had been attacked.

10:01 GMT – Nagorno-Karabakh says another 21 servicemen killed in fighting with Azerbaijan

Ethnic Armenian officials in the Nagorno-Karabakh enclave said another 21 servicemen were killed in the fighting with Azerbaijan, bringing the total number of military deaths to 244 since the start of the war.

The fighting reached its worst level since the 1990s, when some 30,000 people were killed [File: Aris Messins/AFP]

08:10 GMT – Syrian armed groups being deployed in Nagorno-Karabakh, says Assad

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said that “Damascus can confirm” that Syrian armed groups were deployed in Nagorno-Karabakh, in an interview with the Russian news agency RIA.

Turkey and Azerbaijan have denied claims by France, Russia and Iran that Ankara is sending Syrian mercenaries to participate in the fighting that erupted in September.

08:00 GMT – Assad of Syria calls Erdogan of Turkey the “main instigator” of Nagorno-Karabakh

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad accused Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan of being the main instigator of the conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh, in an interview with the Russian news agency RIA.

The fighting has heightened international concern that other regional powers could be drawn into the conflict – Turkey has expressed solidarity with Azerbaijan while Armenia has a defense pact with Russia.

07:50 GMT – Armenia reports quieter night

“After calls from the international community to immediately stop military actions in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict zone, the line of conflict was relatively calm,” Armenian Defense Ministry spokeswoman Shushan Stepanyan said.

The Foreign Ministry of Armenia has issued a new call for an immediate ceasefire and declared that “any attempt at a military solution will be resolutely prevented”.

Ceasefire calls from the United States, Russia and France have been ignored. The three countries have for years carried out mediation efforts in a conflict that erupted when the Soviet Union collapsed, killing around 30,000 people.

Hello. Arwa Ibrahim in Doha and Anealla Safdar in London will bring you the latest updates on the Nagorno-Karabakh crisis today, Tuesday October 6.

Here’s a quick recap:

Fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh spilled over into the tenth day on Tuesday, with no sign of abating as Armenia and Azerbaijan continue their clash in the disputed region.

The two rivals ignore international calls for a ceasefire and have accused each other of causing civilian and military casualties.

On Monday, bombing continued in key cities.

Violence periodically erupts in the breakaway region, which is inside Azerbaijan but controlled by ethnic Armenians, but the latest fighting has raised fears of all-out war.

Turkey has come under special scrutiny from other countries because it has given Azerbaijan its full support.

Meanwhile, there are reports that Turkey is facilitating the transfer of fighters from northern Syria to Nagorno-Karabakh to bolster Azeri forces – a claim denied by Baku and Ankara. More on that later.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here