Detroit woman previously declared dead but later found alive has died, her family say


Two months after a horrific incident in which she was mistakenly pronounced dead, the family of a Detroit-area woman confirmed that she was officially deceased, claiming she suffered brain damage because she was starved of oxygen in the episode earlier this year.

a sign on the side of a road: Once funeral staff realized Beauchamp was alive, the emergency team took her to Detroit Sinai-Grace Hospital where she was reportedly in a condition critical.

© Provided by National Post
Once funeral staff realized Beauchamp was alive, the emergency team took her to Detroit Sinai-Grace Hospital where she was reportedly in critical condition.

“This is the second time that our beloved Timesha has been pronounced dead, but this time she will not be coming back,” the family said in a statement.

At the end of August, a local medical team was summoned to revive Timesha Beauchamp after the 20-year-old was found unresponsive at her home. After 30 minutes of trying with no apparent luck, a doctor declared her dead.

The doctor was not actually at the scene but “declared the patient dead based on the medical information provided” at the scene, the Guardian reported.

Beauchamp had cerebral palsy and other medical conditions. Once she was believed to be dead, funeral arrangements were put in place and Beauchamp’s “body” was even sent to a funeral home in a body bag, ready to be embalmed.

Video: Review of Christine Jessop’s investigation (Global News)

Return to the Christine Jessop investigation

Click to enlarge

  • Doug Ford standing in front of a bookshelf
    Coronavirus: Ford urges people to follow Halloween guidelines
    When asked about conflicting messages from different doctors about the trick or the treatment, including Canada’s Director of Public Health, Dr. Theresa Tam, Ontario Premier Doug Ford urged people to comply with the instructions on faking or processing and not to go if at a modified stage 2 area. He also asked people not to pack a vehicle and travel to a Stage 3 region just to cheat or treat, stressing that they would reduce COVID-19 cases again if they continue to comply with guidelines. .

    Global News Logo
    Global News

  • Doug Ford standing next to a bookshelf
    Coronavirus: Ford defends decision to allow dance studios to operate but not fitness centers
    Ontario Premier Doug Ford has defended his government’s decision to allow dance studios in the modified Stage 2 regions to reopen, but not fitness studios, saying the former will see often the same people or “cohorts” when this is perhaps not the case in the field of fitness. companies.

    Global News Logo
    Global News

  • Justin Trudeau wearing suit and tie
    Coronavirus: Trudeau says Canada has passed 200,000 cases of COVID-19
    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced on Tuesday that Canada has now passed 200,000 cases of COVID-19 with nearly 22,000 active cases. As of Tuesday, Canada had 202,833 confirmed cases of COVID-19 as well as 9,972 deaths since the start of the pandemic.

    Global News Logo
    Global News



However, in a twist, the staff opening the zipper on Beauchamp’s bag found her breathing with her eyes open.

“They were about to embalm her, which is very scary, if she hadn’t had her eyes open… The funeral home opened the body bag, that’s literally what happened to Timesha, and the see alive with eyes open, ”George Fieger, who represents the Beauchamp family, told WXYZ-TV at the time.

Baffled emergency medical teams immediately took Beauchamp to hospital, where she was declared in critical condition, as her distraught family members watched.

“My heart is so heavy. Someone declared my child dead, and she’s not even dead, ”Beauchamp’s mother, Erica Lattimore, told WDIV-TV.

The family, the Guardian reports, have filed a $ 50 million federal lawsuit, saying medical authorities and first responders have let the woman down.

“She died of severe brain damage sustained when Southfield paramedics mistakenly declared her dead and failed to provide her with the oxygen she badly needed,” said Fieger, their lawyer.

“Instead, she was sent to a funeral home who then discovered her eyes were open and she was alive.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here