Death of 91-year-old man is first death from COVID-19 in London since June

0
12


Content of the article continued

The death is the first in the region since June 10.

“It’s a reminder to all of us how serious it is,” Mackie said. “COVID-19 is spreading in our community and unless we reduce the number of our close contacts each day we are going to see this disease spread, and possibly more deaths.”

There are two cases at Extendicare, Mackie said.

“All houses currently have a fairly strict set of guidelines. We know the measures were being followed, but no regime is perfect and unfortunately you have seen cases spread in this situation.

The man was tested after a positive case surfaced at the facility.

“The test result came back the same day the individual died,” Mackie said.

Mackie and Mayor Ed Holder offered their condolences to the man’s family during their regular Thursday briefing.

The fact that London and Middlesex went five months without death is probably no consolation for the family, Holder said. “It didn’t matter to those who loved him, and neither should it.

The health unit reported nine new cases on Thursday. The drop in new daily Thanksgiving weekend cases, which included a record 25 on Monday, was an encouraging sign, Holder said.

But he again reminded Londoners to stay vigilant.

“All it takes is a single error in judgment or a few minutes of stupid or risky behavior (and) we have a very real chance of falling into an untenable number of cases.” he said. “It’s in us to make that difference.”

There have been 58 local deaths and 1,018 cases – 152 active and 866 ‘resolved’ – in London and Middlesex County since the pandemic began earlier this year, public health officials report.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here