- Applications are open for two new federal COVID-19 benefits.
- Canadians have returned 830,000 pandemic benefits, according to CRA figures.
- 19 people have tested positive for COVID-19 on Little Grand Rapids First Nation in Manitoba.
- The COVID Alert app notification stops play at the Ontario Crossroads curling tournament.
- According to the WHO, the “best estimates” indicate that one in 10 people worldwide may have contracted coronavirus.
- With the White House still optimistic, Trump can be discharged from hospital on Monday, Fox News reports.
- Fashion designer Kenzo Takada dies of COVID-19 at age 81.
As a second wave of COVID-19 takes hold in parts of the country, Canadians struggling with the fallout from the pandemic can now begin to apply for two new benefits available from the federal government.Starting Monday, people can apply to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for a new sick leave benefit and a new caregiver benefit for people forced to take time off work to care for them. a dependent due to the pandemic.
The benefits come after the law creating them was rushed by the House of Commons last week. Bill C-4 replaced the now defunct Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) of $ 500 per week, which ended after helping nearly nine million Canadians overcome the effects of the pandemic.
The first service available on Monday is a caregiver benefit targeting people with young children forced to leave school or daycare because of the virus. It provides $ 500 per week for up to 26 weeks for those with children under the age of 12 who cannot work more than half-time due to pandemic-related care responsibilities.
The benefit, which is only payable to a single worker in a household, is also available for those who cannot work because their children or a family member are sick, need to be quarantined or are at risk. high COVID-19.
The second benefit is two-week paid sick leave worth up to $ 1,000 for workers who cannot work more than half the week because they have contracted COVID-19 or are suffering from an illness. underlying disease that makes them more susceptible to the disease.
Meanwhile, figures provided to CBC News by the CRA show that Canadians have made more than 830,000 repayments of COVID-19 emergency assistance benefits to which they were not entitled.
Figures include reimbursements for CERB and Canada Student Emergency Benefit (CEP) recipients. The CRA said all refunds were voluntary.
WATCH | Businesses would “struggle” with the second lockdown, says the Toronto restaurateur:
“There are several reasons why voluntary refunds were made: if claimants mistakenly requested a CERB payment from both Service Canada and the CRA for the same period, whether a claimant found out by as a result that he was not eligible for the benefit, or if a claimant returned to work earlier than expected, ”CRA spokesperson Christopher Doody said in an email.
Conservative MP and national revenue spokesperson Philip Lawrence said he blamed the high number of refunds on the federal government for failing to explain benefit programs to Canadians.
“During the pandemic, the Liberals continuously sent conflicting messages to Canadians asking for emergency benefits. This confused many Canadians who were unsure whether or not they were eligible for benefits, ”said Lawrence.
What’s happening in the rest of Canada
As of 8:15 a.m. ET on Monday, Canada had 166,156 confirmed or suspected cases of the coronavirus. Provinces and territories have listed 140,243 of them as recovered or resolved. A CBC News death tally based on provincial reports, regional health news and CBC news reports stood at 9,481.
In Manitoba, 19 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in Little Grand Rapids First Nation, community leaders said Sunday evening.
“After receiving confirmation of positive cases within our community, we reacted quickly and moved on to our next phase of pandemic planning to manage the cases and keep the community safe,” said Chief Raymond Keeper in a joint press release from the First Nation and the Assembly. chiefs of Manitoba.
On Sunday afternoon, the province declared an epidemic in the remote northeastern community and raised the region to red, or “critical,” levels as part of its pandemic response system.
Several people have tested positive for illness caused by the novel coronavirus after attending events at the local recreation center between September 24 and September 27, the province said in a press release earlier Sunday.
New strict rules have been implemented for members of the First Nation: no public gatherings are allowed, only one person per household can leave to get necessities and people must wear non-medical masks when they go out – but those who work in essential services will still be allowed to go to work.
In Ontario, the remainder of a curling tournament was canceled after a player was notified by the COVID Alert app that he had been in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19.
The Stu Sells Oakville Tankard was played at the KW Granite Club in Waterloo. The Brad Jacobs Rink Twitter account confirmed the cancellation of the remainder of the playoff rounds on Sunday afternoon.
“As a contact of a contact, other players are not required to isolate themselves, but due to the nature of the virus we will be canceling the playoff round at this time,” organizers told CBC Sports in a report. communicated.
Organizers said all players participating in the tournament were required to download the COVID Alert tracking app, and the decision to cancel the rest of the event was out of caution for the safety of all participants.
What is happening in the world
According to Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, the global total of confirmed coronavirus cases stands at more than 35.2 million. More than 1,037,000 people have died and over 24.5 million have recovered.
The emergency manager at World Health Organization says its “best estimate” indicates that about one in 10 people worldwide may have been infected with the coronavirus.
Dr Michael Ryan, speaking on Monday at a 34-member WHO executive board meeting focused on COVID-19, said the numbers vary from urban to rural and between different groups, but that in the end, it means “the vast majority of the world.” remains at risk. ”
The estimate – which would rise to more than 760 million people based on a current global population of around 7.6 billion – far exceeds the number of confirmed cases reported by the WHO and Johns University. Hopkins. Experts have long said that the number of confirmed cases vastly underestimates the real figure.
WATCH | Trump surprises supporters outside the hospital:
in the United States, Fox News reported that President Donald Trump’s condition continued to improve overnight, and the White House is optimistic he will leave the military hospital where he received treatment for COVID -19 later Monday. Fox cited a statement by White House chief of staff Mark Meadows.
Meadows said he spoke with Trump earlier Monday morning and that the president would meet with his medical team later Monday morning to assess his condition, Fox reported.
It comes after Trump made a surprise car visit to his supporters on Sunday outside the hospital.
He wore a mask as he waved from the back seat of a black SUV that crawled into a trailer of vehicles past the hospital, while supporters waving Trump 2020 flags chanted, “USA!” USA! ”
French Authorities placed the Paris region on high alert for the virus on Monday, banning festive gatherings and forcing all bars to close but allowing restaurants to remain open, with the number of infections rising rapidly.
Paris Police Prefect Didier Lallement said the new restrictions would apply for at least the next two weeks. “We are constantly adapting to the reality of the virus. We are taking steps to slow (its spread), ”he said.
From Tuesday, bars will be closed in Paris and its suburbs. Student parties and all other festive and family events in establishments open to the public will be prohibited.
Restaurants will remain open under strict conditions, to be detailed later Monday. They should include the distance between each table, a limit on the number of people, and a request to record the names and phone numbers of customers.
The director of the Regional Health Authority, Aurélien Rousseau, said that around 3,500 new cases of infection are confirmed on average every day in the Paris region and that 36% of ICU beds in the region are occupied by patients. COVID-19.
Malay Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin said on Monday he would quarantine himself after a cabinet minister he was in contact with tested positive for the coronavirus.
Muhyiddin chaired a meeting on October 3 attended by Minister of Religions Zulkifli Mohamad Al-Bakri, who confirmed on Monday that he had been hospitalized for treatment.
Cases in the country have exploded in recent days, reaching a record high of 432 on Monday. The number of cases of the virus in Malaysia is 12,813 with 137 deaths.
Muhyiddin said he had tested negative for the virus for the past three consecutive weeks, after returning from campaigning in East Sabah state on the island of Borneo, which is a hotspot area.
But he said in a statement he would observe quarantine and work from home until October 16. All meeting participants will also observe self-isolation.