Coronavirus UK Update Live: Latest lockdown news as Boris Johnson unveils three-tier system

0
18


Nightingale emergency hospitals in Manchester, Sunderland and Harrogate have been urged to prepare to take patients due to a peak in coronavirus cases ahead of the unveiling of a new three-tier local lockdown system this afternoon .

Boris Johnson will present the strategy on Monday, with areas in England rated as medium, high or very high risk for Covid-19 and new restrictions prepared for areas most at risk.

However, the proposals were thrown into chaos by a dispute between the UK government and leaders in northern England over “insufficient” financial support for businesses that should be closed by the rules.

1602500396

More coronavirus patients in hospital now than at start of first lockdown, officials say

Hospitals now have more coronavirus patients than they had when the lockdown restrictions were announced in March, the medical director of NHS England said.

In a Downing Street briefing this morning, Stephen Powis also warned that the North West could see more patients than at the peak of the first wave within four weeks.

Our political editor, Andrew Woodcock, has the full story below:

Conrad Duncan12 October 2020 11:59

1602500074

Comments from NHS England Medical Director Stephen Powis on the use of Nightingale Hospitals in the north of England can be found below:

Nightingale hospitals urged to mobilize for new wave of Covid-19 admissions

Conrad DuncanOctober 12, 2020 11:54 AM

1602499118

Nightingale hospitals called on to mobilize for new influx of coronavirus patients

Nightingale emergency hospitals in Manchester, Sunderland and Harrogate have been urged to prepare to take patients amid a spike in coronavirus cases, the medical director of NHS England has said.

Stephen Powis told a Downing Street briefing that all NHS hospital staff in high-risk areas will now be tested regularly, regardless of symptoms.

Our journalist, Samuel Lovett, have more on this breaking story below:

Conrad Duncan12 October 2020 11:38

1602498403

Cases ‘heat up’ across England last week, deputy chief medical officer warns

Professor Jonathan Van-Tam said it was ‘worrying’ that coronavirus cases ‘are heating up’ across more of England a week ago.

The deputy chief medical officer shared a map showing the rate of change in cases per 100,000 population by local authority between September 23 and 29 and September 30 and October 6.

“That has changed in just a few days and that clearly concerns me,” said Prof Van-Tam.

He also warned that the coronavirus was spreading from younger age groups to over 60s.

“There is the spread of these younger age groups in the 60+ age group in the Northwest and Northeast, and there are rates of change in the same places but expanding as well. a little further south, ”he added.

“And this is again a big concern … because of course the elderly suffer a much worse course with Covid-19, they are admitted to the hospital for longer periods and they are more difficult to save. .

Conrad Duncan12 October 2020 11:26

1602498002

“Pickup marked” in coronavirus cases, according to deputy chief medical officer

England’s deputy chief medical officer said there had clearly been a ‘marked upturn’ in coronavirus cases, which would lead to more deaths.

During a briefing on the latest data from the outbreak, Professor Jonathan Van-Tam noted that there were more tests now than at the height of the first wave of the pandemic, but it was clear that there had been a resurgence of cases.

“The key point is that having had a rather flat summer, with very low amounts of Covid positive patients in the UK, you can see that from the beginning of September there was a marked recovery,” said declared Professor Van-Tam.

He added that there was a disconnect between identified cases and patients admitted to hospital or dying.

“The hospital admissions we have now actually relate to a time when there were fewer cases of Covid-19,” he said.

“Already with the cases that we know of, we have racked up additional hospital admissions and unfortunately we have also caused additional deaths which are now due to infections that have already occurred.”

Conrad Duncan12 October 2020 11:20

1602497402

Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson said the government had agreed to allow restaurants to continue operating in the region under new lockdown restrictions.

Conrad Duncan12 October 2020 11:10

1602497167

Northern Ireland lockdown speculation as DUP MP questions need for further measures

A senior DUP MP questioned the need for a region-wide lockdown in Northern Ireland, as the region’s chief medical officer called for a six-week shutdown to halt rising rates of ‘infection.

Sir Jeffrey Donaldson said such a proposal was much broader than what was in place or considered elsewhere in the UK or the Republic of Ireland.

“A full six-week lockdown, back to where we were last March, would put us, I think, well ahead of anywhere else,” Sir Jeffrey told BBC Radio Ulster. Nolan show.

“And the rate across Northern Ireland, I would need to be convinced that such measures are currently appropriate for all of Northern Ireland.

“I would like to know why we are abandoning the policy of focusing on areas with the highest infection rates.”

The MP added that Dr Michael McBride, chief medical officer for Northern Ireland, had to produce data to justify imposing a one-week lockdown.

Conrad DuncanOctober 12, 2020 11:06 AM

1602496619

GP issues warning about coronavirus ‘war zone’ as cases rise across UK

A senior general practitioner in East Lancashire said the situation in hospitals “almost looks like a war zone” amid a spike in coronavirus cases in northern England.

Northern leaders have warned the second wave is “getting out of hand”, with hospital admissions approaching levels seen at the initial peak of the pandemic.

Our journalist, Samuel Lovett, has the full story below:

Conrad DuncanOctober 12, 2020 10:56 AM

1602495426

Number of private contact tracers cut as work moves to local public health teams

The number of non-NHS contact tracers has been reduced as more work is passed to local public health teams, the Department of Health and Social Affairs has confirmed.

Non-NHS call handlers were reduced from 18,000 to 12,000 in August and again to 10,000 at the end of September.

The private companies Serco and Sitel now provide 5,000 call managers each to supplement the figure of 10,000.

The reduction follows strong criticism from MPs and local councils over the failures of the Test and Trace system in recent months.

“NHS Test and Trace is providing testing on an unprecedented scale – more than 240,000 a day on average last week – and more than half a million people have been contacted to self-isolate, helping to reduce transmission, ”a government spokesperson said.

“As contact tracing becomes increasingly focused locally, we have adjusted the number of non-NHS call managers as well as specific cantonment teams to work in close spread of Covid-19. “

A spokesperson for Serco said the company takes pride in the service it provides.

Conrad Duncan12 October 2020 10:37

1602494300

Government admits two-thirds of regular wages will be “very difficult” for workers

Employees forced to live on two-thirds of their regular salary due to coronavirus restrictions will find it “very difficult,” a minister admitted.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden’s comments came after leaders and businesses in the North criticized the government’s economic support program as “insufficient” and warned it would see “communities plunged into hardship. “.

Our political correspondent, Ashley Cowburn, has the full story below:

Conrad DuncanOctober 12, 2020 10:18 AM

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here