Campbellton High School Confirms Positive Case of COVID-19

0
43


The principal of a high school in Campbellton, New Brunswick, has confirmed a positive case of COVID-19.Sugarloaf High School principal Michael O’Toole reported the case in a message to parents and guardians on Thursday evening. The information was posted on the school’s Facebook page at 9:30 p.m. AT.

Classes were canceled for Friday.

This is the first school-related case of COVID-19 since New Brunswick schools reopened in September.

Dr Jennifer Russell, the province’s chief medical officer of health, said on Wednesday there had been a case of COVID-19 in the Campbellton area, involving a person in their 30s. She said New Brunswick’s other two new cases on Thursday were linked to travel outside the Atlantic bubble, but Campbellton’s case was still under investigation.

O’Toole told parents and guardians the school is working with public health to identify students and school staff who may have been exposed to the coronavirus.

The school’s closure on Friday, O’Toole said, will allow the cleanup and contact tracing.

“We understand that you might be feeling anxious over the next few days,” he said. “Public health officials will contact you if your child has been in close contact with the confirmed case and tell you if your child needs to self-isolate. ”

He indicated that if there is no contact with public health, students can continue to attend school.

“It’s natural to want to know if your child may have been exposed to the virus. Public health officials will inform those at risk of the next steps. ”

O’Toole said anyone with symptoms of COVID-19 should call Tele-Care 811 or register them online for a test.

O’Toole said details and names will not be released to protect the privacy of students and school staff. The manager called for everyone involved to be treated with kindness and respect, in person and on social media.

“Children and youth look to the adults in their lives for guidance on how to respond to disturbing and stressful events. ”

Following the government’s decision to suspend the “bubble” with the Quebec region of Avignon – which allowed non-essential excursions for residents of the Listuguj and Pointe-à-la-Croix First Nations in New Brunswick – students who attended Sugarloaf High School now be in distance learning.

Kindergarten to grade 8 students can continue to cross the border to school.

O’Toole said the school, district and Listuguj First Nation were working on the details of the delivery of tech devices and personal items.

“These details will be communicated as they become available. “

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here