B.C. family of five who survived COVID-19 calls for caution, not fear


A Richmond family of five who contracted COVID-19 this summer is sharing their family story as a warning – and a message of optimism – to others.Anson Ann, a Reverend of Good Shepherd Richmond Church, his wife Charis and two of their daughters have tested positive for the coronavirus, and the family are certain their third daughter also had the virus.

Read more:

British Columbians share what it’s like to have COVID-19

The couple recently produced a testimony in Cantonese about the experience of their congregation – which has not met in person since March – on YouTube.

Charis started showing symptoms in mid-August and tested positive, while Anson was refused a test because he was asymptomatic.

The story continues under the ad

He quickly started showing symptoms and tested positive two days later with the middle daughter of the couple, while the other two girls came back negative.

A second child tested positive three days later and the third was not feeling well, at which point the family curled up assuming everyone was infected.

Read more:

Their fathers are quarantined with the coronavirus in nursing homes across British Columbia. This is their message

“So the tests don’t always allow it,” Anson told Global News on Saturday.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]
“The five of us stayed at home, we were isolated and we were pretty much bedridden for two weeks.

Langley Sr. shares story of COVID-19 hospitalization

Langley Sr. shares story of COVID-19 hospitalization

None of the Ann suffered from respiratory symptoms. Instead, they say they mostly suffered from headaches and body aches, fatigue, fever, and diarrhea.

The story continues under the ad

In Charis’s case, symptoms came and went during the course of the illness.

“I had a very big headache, the temperature went up. It has fluctuated a few times which is different from the flu that I have known all my life, ”she said.

“At first I was sick, I was concentrating on my rest, so two days later I was feeling better. When I felt better, I had the energy to worry about my family and the people I was in contact with.

The kids rebounded in a matter of days, according to the Anns, while both parents took about two weeks to recover.

The Anns, who still don’t know how they contracted COVID-19, say they followed public health guidelines, including washing their hands, wearing masks and keeping their bubble for family and a few close friends.

Read more:

“I progressed very, very slowly”: BC COVID-19 ‘long-haul’ shares recovery story

The family say they hope to dispel some myths – including that only the elderly get sick, or that if you do get sick you end up in the hospital.

They want others to know that for a lot of people, COVID can bet being beaten with patience and a lot of fluid – but it’s not something anyone would want to go through.

The story continues under the ad

“It was very, very painful,” Anson said.

Click to play video 'British Columbia nurse joins growing list of so-called COVID-19 long haul'

British Columbia nurse joins growing list of so-called COVID-19 long haul

British Columbia nurse joins growing list of so-called COVID-19 long haul

What Charis got out of the experience was not to be afraid, but to take the precautions seriously.

Read more:

BC COVID-19 hospital patient speaks out: “Just because I’m old doesn’t mean I want to die”

Anyone who is feeling bad should make sure to stay home, she added.

“We have to be very careful when we go out, we have to balance where we are going, how much social life we ​​have,” Charis said.

“But at the same time, we don’t shut ourselves off from anyone and live in our own little bubble.”

Show link »

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here