The latest death is a man in his 80s who is linked to the outbreak at the Millwoods Shepherds Care Center in Edmonton. The outbreak has seen 60 residents and 31 staff test positive for COVID-19, with eight of the residents having died.
To date, 288 Albertans have died from COVID-19.
Here is the regional distribution of active cases:
- Edmonton area: 1,497 cases vs. 1,473 cases Wednesday
- Calgary area: 788 cases fewer than 791 cases Wednesday
- North Zone: 130 cases against 124 cases
- South zone: 191 cases against 177 cases
- Central zone: 116 cases out of 108 cases
- Unknown: 16 cases identical to Wednesday
The number of tests carried out Wednesday was 12,721, bringing the total number of tests carried out in the province to 1,583,918.
There are now 22 schools under surveillance, which means they have recorded at least five cases of COVID-19, and 69 schools with two to four cases.
Dr Deena Hinshaw, Alberta’s chief medical officer of health, is due to provide an update on COVID-19 Friday afternoon.