There are now 100 people hospitalized with the disease, another number that has been on the rise for weeks. Fourteen of these patients are in intensive care.
The death concerns a woman in her thirties from the Edmonton area. It is only the second death among 30-39 year olds in Alberta and the third death of an Albertan under 40.
A total of 287 Albertans have now died from COVID-19.
Here is the regional distribution of active cases:
- Edmonton area: 1,473 cases, up from 1,444 on Tuesday
- Calgary area: 791 cases, up from 754
- North zone: 124 cases, against 127
- Southern zone: 177 cases, against 160
- Central zone: 108 cases, against 109
- Unknown: 16 cases, compared to 21
The number of tests performed on Tuesday was 14,881, bringing the total number of tests performed in the province to 1,571,176.
There are now 21 schools under surveillance, which means they have recorded at least five cases of COVID-19. There are 68 schools with two to four cases.