1 death from salmonella outbreak in British Columbia, Alberta and Yukon linked to dog treats

0
19


Health officials say one person has died and several more have fallen ill following an outbreak of salmonella linked to pig ear dog treats.The Agency’s Public Health issued a notice on Tuesday saying dog owners should not feed their pets Paws Up! and the Western Family brands of pig ear dog treats, sold nationally at Canadian Tire and Save-On-Foods.

He said eight people fell ill with salmonella after handling the treats: five in British Columbia, two in Alberta and one in the Yukon.

The illnesses were reported between late February and early August and sent three people to hospital. The ages of those affected were between seven and 95 years old. Health officials have not disclosed the age or location of the deceased.

The supplier, Masters Best Friend, voluntarily issued an order on Wednesday to stop the sale of the two brands.

Although the products can no longer be purchased in stores, they can still be in people’s homes, the agency said.

Symptoms of salmonella include fever, chills, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and vomiting, and usually last between four and seven days.

The infection usually goes away without treatment in healthy people, but can lead to serious illness and hospitalization in some cases.

“Always wash your hands immediately after handling dog treats and make sure that any areas that the treats have come in contact with are properly cleaned and sanitized,” the agency said on its website.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here