The Paris police headquarters said the victims’ lives were not in danger and no one else was injured.
A man wearing bloodstained clothes and carrying a large knife or machete was arrested near Place de la Bastille in eastern Paris, shortly after the attack, police said. French media reported that a second suspect was arrested near the Richard Lenoir metro station.
All schools in the area have been locked out as a safety measure. A suspicious package found in the area was examined by police scientists and found to contain no explosive devices.
The French counterterrorism prosecutor’s office said it had opened an investigation into an attempted murder in connection with a terrorist enterprise. A crisis control center has been opened at the Ministry of the Interior.
France Info radio said the victims were a man and a woman employed by a television production company Première Ligne based in the same building as the newspaper’s former offices. Other staff said they were standing outside when they were attacked by a man wielding a knife.
Initial reports said four people were injured, but police later changed the figure to two.
It is not known what motivated the attack on Friday morning. Charlie Hebdo left his previous speech on rue Nicolas-Appert since an attack by Islamist extremists in 2015 in which several of its editorial staff, including some of France’s best-known cartoonists, were among the 12 people killed.
The trial of 14 suspects accused of involvement in the Charlie Hebdo murders committed by the brothers Said and Chérif Kouachi, and in a subsequent attack on the kosher supermarket Hyper Cacher, is currently underway in Paris.
The magazine republished the controversial cartoons of Prophet Muhammad, which it first printed in 2006, to mark the start of the trial, claiming in an op-ed that he “would never go to bed … We will never give up.”
An employee of the TV production company who asked not to be identified said she arrived at work shortly after 9:30 a.m. and was just sitting at her desk when she heard screams from the street .
“At first it didn’t seem like a bad thing, but it continued,” the employee said. “One of the reporters went to the window and looked outside and said, ‘Something is going on. Something is happening. ”
Many of the company’s staff had suffered the Charlie Hebdo attack five years ago and were “in shock,” she said.
“They said we had to lock the office doors and go up to the roof. It was there that I looked down and saw one of our colleagues, injured but alive, in the street. He had been injured in the head and in the hand, I believe.
The employee said the building had since been evacuated. Staff had been questioned by police and were now waiting in a nearby theater to hear when they could leave. “Everyone is very shaken up,” she said.