Toronto’s top doctor says COVID-19 resurgence is already starting

0
55


Health officials across the country have been warning for some time now that a second wave of COVID-19 is simply inevitable, and the Toronto medical officer of health said today that the outbreak is already starting.Speaking at the city’s pandemic press conference on Wednesday afternoon, Dr Eileen de Villa said local numbers were starting to rise again, with 48 new COVID-19 infections reported in Toronto since yesterday and 123 infections so far this week.

“It’s concerning for all of us… It’s not a question of whether we will see more COVID-19 activity in our city, it’s a question of when,” she said. “I’m worried because that’s what we’re starting to see now. ”

During the briefing, Dr de Villa stressed the importance of people’s actions over the next few days and weeks, especially when children return to school, residents return to work, and people spend more time at school. indoors as the cooler weather arrives.

And as Labor Day weekend approaches, she urges everyone to be responsible for not contributing to the transmission of the virus.

“The choices we make this Labor Day weekend have the potential to affect all of us in the weeks and months to come,” she warned.

The medical officer of health said Toronto has done a good job of preventing the virus from spreading over the past few months, and while that is in part thanks to the cooperation of the residents, it is also because we were able to socialize at outside.

That, added to the fact that many have thankfully avoided getting sick with COVID-19 since March, can lead to a false sense of security, she said.

People are also, obviously, tired of social distancing, maintaining social bubbles and rules in general, but she said breaking those rules is precisely what is leading to the resurgence that we are starting to see.

“The point is, we are seeing COVID-19 infections in our city, resulting from the choice of people not to follow public health advice,” she said.

“This week alone, we identified new infections among people who socialize indoors, without masks and nearby. These are exactly the kinds of situations that are contributing to the spread of the virus to other parts of the country. ”

She added that in reality, the only sure way to move forward is for people to continue to follow public health measures, including washing their hands, being aware of the distance and wearing a mask.

“I cannot stress enough how critical our behavior today is in determining what will happen next. So I ask everyone to take a moment, think about how they can get around the rules and start today by resetting our habits, ”she said.

“This will be critical to how we manage as a community in the next phase of this pandemic. This is the only way to protect each other, our economy, and to ensure that we do not revert to even more restrictive measures. we did it in the spring. “



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here