Ten more cases of COVID-19 in Toronto-area schools as classes resume for more students

0
69


TORONTO – Ten more positive cases of COVID-19 were reported in schools in the GTA on Monday as in-person classes resumed in several school boards. The Halton District School Board says positive cases have been reported at Brant Hills Public School in Burlington and Garth Webb High School in Oakville.

The board did not say whether the two new cases involved students or staff at the affected schools.

The province also updated its database to reflect a new case involving a student at John Fraser High School in Mississauga.

Also on Monday, the principal of Maple Ridge PS in Pickering told parents that two people from the same household who were last in school on September 9 had tested positive for COVID-19.

“The individual is asymptomatic, wore a mask in the building and physically away from others while at school,” the principal told parents on Monday.

Additionally, the nearby Pine Ridge High School confirmed two positive cases on Monday evening.

In a letter to the school community, Principal Jackie Leacock said the people were last at school on September 10. She said it is not yet clear where the two contracted the infection and that those identified as close contacts will be contacted by Durham Region. Department of Health.

In York Region, public health data showed Monday night that three schools have seen cases. Cases include a student from Little Rouge Public School, a student from J Addison School, and a staff member or visitor from Our Lady of Fatima Elementary School.

Confirmation of positive cases comes the same day classes resume at the Halton District School Board, as well as at several other GTA boards.

The first day of school at TDSB was postponed a bit later, however. Some elementary school students will begin returning to class on Tuesday as part of a staggered return. High school students won’t start returning until Thursday.

The province said there had so far been a total of 15 positive cases in public schools, although its database did not yet include most of the cases reported by individual schools on Monday.

Six of the existing cases are in Ottawa, where classes resumed last week.

There have also been six other combined cases in Halton and Peel school boards, although those numbers will increase when the province updates its database.

Premier Doug Ford has previously expressed confidence in the resumption of face-to-face teaching in Ontario schools, but he has also indicated that he “would not hesitate for a second to close schools” in the event of an emergency. important epidemics.

“” In the blink of an eye, they’re down, they’re done. Bang. Closed, ”he said last month.

Today was the first day of school for high school students from the Peel District School Board and part of all students from the Toronto Catholic District School Board and the Halton District School Board. A number of other boards have also welcomed additional students today as part of a phased resumption of classes.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here