The majority of new cases are the result of close contact with another positive case.
Here are a few more updates to the region’s COVID-19 summary:
- 150 cases are active, but no one is currently receiving treatment at a local hospital
- 1,383 cases resolved (84%)
- There are now ten outbreaks, three in daycares – Inspiring Minds Early Learning Center, YWCA KW St. Paul Childcare and FunCare Learning Center
- 120 local deaths have been linked to the virus. No additional deaths have been reported since August 21
- 85,365 tests were performed (positive results in 1.9%)
There are also ten cases of students attending elementary and secondary schools in the area – the latest were confirmed Tuesday at Cameron Heights Collegiate (two students), Preston High School (one student) and Forest Hill Public School ( a student).
During a press briefing on Tuesday, the region’s acting medical officer of health confirmed that we were in the second wave of the coronavirus.
Dr Hsiu-Li Wang said she expects cases and epidemics to escalate for at least a few weeks, adding that we must continue to follow public health guidelines by keeping small social circles. , taking physical distances, wearing a face mask and continuing to wash. our hands often.
Below is the provincial breakdown of COVID-19 for Wednesday:
- 48,087 cases in total (335 new)
- 88 patients are currently hospitalized with the virus
- 41,600 resolved cases (86.5%)
- 3.64 million tests were performed
- 2,835 deaths (three new)