Prince Harry and Meghan Markle shoot the brilliant Invictus Games fundraiser

0
212


|

Harry and Meghan have canceled a key fundraising event for the Invictus Games, after signing a new deal with streaming giant Netflix.

The scintillating music and comedy show was scheduled to be held in California in June 2021 and air on Amazon, with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex planning to give speeches during the event.

The fundraiser, which organizers hoped would raise at least £ 1million for the Invictus Games Foundation, likely took place at the Hollywood Bowl.

Harry and Meghan have canceled key fundraising event for the Invictus Games

Foundation officials were said to have been ‘stunned’ after a Sussex lawyer informed them they would not go ahead with the event last week, shortly before the deal was announced Netflix.

According to a Sunday Times report, the lawyer cited a “conflict” of plans with another streaming service.

A source involved in the planning of the event told the post, “It’s very bad form and everyone at Invictus is gutted.

“Harry said yes to that last year and everything was moving forward until a few weeks ago.

“This was going to be a big time for Invictus where the pot is pretty empty, and that left them in a bind. Harry has to pull his finger to find another way to raise money for them.

According to an Invictus spokesperson, the event was “put aside” due to the Covid-19 pandemic and was a decision independent of the signing of the Netflix deal.

The Sussexes (pictured in February last year) signed a deal with streaming giant Netflix earlier this week

The Sussexes (pictured in February last year) signed a deal with streaming giant Netflix earlier this week

The Duke of Sussex meets the team members at the launch of Team UK for the Invictus The Hague 2020 Games at the Honorable Artillery Company in London last October.  This year's Invictus Games, scheduled to be held in April, have been canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic

The Duke of Sussex meets the team members at the launch of Team UK for the Invictus The Hague 2020 Games at the Honorable Artillery Company in London last October. This year’s Invictus Games, scheduled to be held in April, have been canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic

The event was put on hold because the main revenue generator was the sale of tickets to a live concert in Los Angeles in the spring of 2021.

“Given the current circumstances with Covid, the event had to be reconceptualized.

“This was an independent decision made before a partnership with Netflix. The Duke remains more than ever attached to the Invictus Games.

The 2020 Invictus Games which were scheduled to be held in April have been canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex signed a deal with Netflix, valued at £ 112million, earlier this week for their yet-to-name new production company to make documentaries, feature films, scripted shows and children’s programs.

They promised to create “hard-hitting content that unlocks the action” and Netflix chief executive Ted Sarandos has been vetted and has spoken of the “unprecedented reach” of the company.

They are expected to produce content including “mental health”, an animated series on women, a nature documentary and shows on community service.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here