Premier limits collection sizes province wide as Ontario reports 407 new cases of COVID-19

0
21


Premier Doug Ford announced that the province was reducing the number of people allowed for social gatherings across Ontario, as the province reported 407 new cases of COVID-19 on Saturday.From now on, private and unsupervised gatherings will be limited to 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors for the next 28 days, Ford said at a press conference at Queen’s Park.

The prime minister also said those who broke these rules risked a minimum fine of $ 10,000 for organizers and a fine of $ 750 for guests. Events organized in staffed facilities are excluded, such as cinemas, places of worship, gymnasiums and convention centers.

“It’s about everyone’s health and safety, and we need to get tough on rule breakers,” Ford said.

WATCH | Premier Doug Ford Limits Social Gatherings Across Ontario:

Ontario Premier Doug Ford announced that the province is reducing the number of people allowed at social gatherings across Ontario. 1:25

It comes as the province tries to curb the “alarming growth” in COVID-19 cases by limiting large gatherings – something health officials say is contributing significantly to the outbreak.

“We can’t have these wild parties right now. It’s just way too risky, ”Ford said.

COVID-19 hotspots Toronto, Peel Region and Ottawa were subject to the same restrictions earlier this week

Dr. Barbara Yaffe, Associate Chief Medical Officer of Health for Ontario, said the decision to make the province-wide restrictions was a “precautionary measure.”

“The increases are happening, especially in some dense urban areas, but there have been indications of small increases elsewhere and we are trying to avoid further increases as much as possible. “

The public does not know what it means to organize a social gathering

The province has not released specific data regarding social gatherings or the percentage of cases from large gatherings or parties.

But Yafffe said the government viewed social gatherings as the cause of a “growing proportion of cases.”

The reason, she said, is that the public doesn’t know what it means to hold a safe social gathering.

If you are attending a rally or see someone who is outside your social circle, even if it is within the boundaries of the rally, Yaffe said, “You have to keep your distance, two meters, or wear a mask. ”

You are only allowed to violate the physical distance restrictions, without wearing a mask, with those in your social circle, which can be up to 10 people, Yaffe said.

“It’s an upward trend and that’s why we’re trying to proactively tackle ourselves,” she said.

407 new cases on Saturday

Meanwhile, Ontario reported 407 new cases of COVID-19 on Saturday, the highest daily number of cases since June 7.

It is also the second day in a row that the province has recorded more than 400 new cases of the new coronavirus since that same date.

The majority of the daily case count is concentrated in three public health units: Toronto, Region of Peel and Ottawa. They recorded 129, 94 and 55 cases respectively, Health Minister Christine Elliott said in a series of tweets.

Seventy-one percent of Saturday’s cases were found in people under the age of 40, she said.

The increase represents a 0.9% increase in cases, bringing the provincial total since the start of the pandemic to 46,484.

Of those cases, nearly 88% are considered resolved, with 177 cases reported resolved on Saturday.

The province processed a record number of tests for the virus on Friday, reporting 38,940.

“In response to the growing demand for testing, Ontario Health has increased the capacity of eight assessment centers in Toronto, Peel and Ottawa with seven pop-ups launched in regions and more to come to help improve access and reduce wait times, ”Elliott said in a tweet on Saturday.

Elliott also said there was a slight increase in hospitalizations to 64 cases, as intensive care unit admissions and the number of patients on ventilators remained stable, reporting 20 and 10 cases, respectively.

The province reported one new death from the virus, bringing the total death toll to 2,826. A CBC analysis of local public health units, which is more up-to-date than provincial figures, had the actual total of 2,865 deaths on Saturday morning. .

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here