Passengers returning to Canada were caught ignoring self-isolation rules, official says

0
96


TORONTO – International travelers who are required by law to self-isolate after entering Canada have been trapped in public places by ignoring quarantine rules, according to Ontario’s top doctor. Dr David Williams told a press conference in Queen’s Park on Wednesday that it had been brought to his attention that some people arriving in Canada had “failed to uphold and follow federal quarantine law.”

“(They’ve) broken quarantine and are in public places,” Williams said. “These are issues of great concern to me and to our team here in Ontario. ”

Williams said he had heard of “negligent” social events, which were attended by people believed to be in quarantine. He said there were COVID-19 clusters associated with these gatherings.

“You get the feeling that if someone isn’t that sick, it doesn’t really matter. Well that’s important, ”Williams said. ” This is not a problem. ”

Williams did not say how many people in Ontario have been caught breaking the self-isolation rules.

CTV News Toronto has contacted the Department of Health for more information.

Since the start of August, at least 45 flights have landed in Toronto with passengers who have subsequently tested positive for COVID-19. Flights with infected passengers have landed at other airports across the country, including Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary, but the majority have landed in Toronto.

Even though some airlines and travel agencies are re-promoting international travel, the federal government still advises Canadians against leaving the country for non-essential purposes.

For those who do, it is mandatory to self-isolate for 14 days, whether or not they show symptoms of COVID-19.

Failure to follow quarantine rules after entering Canada can result in six months in prison or a fine of $ 750,000.

The RCMP, Provincial Police and local police can also issue tickets, with fines ranging from $ 275 to $ 1,000, to people who violate quarantine rules.

Williams ‘concerned’ about trends in the province

Williams also said at a press conference Thursday that he was now concerned about trends in COVID-19 in Ontario.

The province has reported eight consecutive days of more than 100 new infections.

Health officials reported 132 new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, bringing the provincial total to 42,686, including death and recovery.

The last time the number of daily new cases in Ontario was below 100 was on August 26, when 88 new infections were reported.

In August, Ontario reported more than a dozen days when the number of new cases was less than 100.

“Stay in the task,” Williams said, begging people to follow public health guidelines. “I know it’s a long haul, but it’s like that with these viruses. “

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here