Pair released after questioning during Tour de France doping investigation

0
42


LE PECQ, FRANCE – Two people interviewed during a Tour de France doping investigation around the team of former runner-up Nairo Quintana have been released without charge, a French prosecutor said on Wednesday. Police released the couple, a doctor and a physiotherapist on Tuesday evening, Marseille prosecutor Dominique Laurens said in a statement. Police questioned them on Monday.

The prosecutor said the investigation itself remains open, with more police work to be done before any decision is made on whether to go further.

Colombian rider Quintana, vice-champion in 2013 and 2015 but 17th this year, has denied any wrongdoing.

In a statement Tuesday evening, he said that the police who had searched his hotel room after a stage of the Tour in the Alps had found only vitamin supplements “perfectly legal”.

He said it takes time to clear up misunderstandings about the products, as officers did not know them immediately.

Quintana said French officials questioned him on Monday, the day after the end of the Tour in Paris, and that he voluntarily responded to the summons. He said he answered all the questions “clearly and with a clear conscience.”

He declared that no doping product had been found in search of the hotel in Méribel, at the arrival of the very difficult Alpine Stage 17, and that he had never doped.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here