Oklahoma girl, 15, died of overdose at TikTok ‘Benadryl Challenge’

0
1,867


The 15-year-old Oklahoma girl who died last month after overdosing on Benadryl while taking part in a social media ‘challenge’ in which teens take large doses of the anti-allergic drug to hallucinating has been identified.

Chloé Marie Phillips de Blanchard died early in the morning of August 21.

Janette Sissy Leasure, Chloe’s great aunt, posted a now deleted post on Facebook urging families to be alert for children participating in the ‘Benadryl Challenge’.

“This must stop taking our children or putting them in the hospital,” she wrote on Facebook. His post was reported by The Sun.

“Don’t let this take more children… I don’t want to see families going through what we’re going through right now,” she wrote.

Chloe Marie Phillips, 15, of Blanchard, Oklahoma, died early in the morning of August 21 after overdosing on Benadryl

Young Chloe is seen above with her father, Dustin Cook, from Blanchard, Oklahoma

Young Chloe is seen above with her father, Dustin Cook, from Blanchard, Oklahoma

Janette Sissy Leasure, Chloe's great aunt, posted a now deleted post on Facebook urging families to be on the alert for children participating in the Benadryl Challenge.

Janette Sissy Leasure, Chloe’s great aunt, posted a now deleted post on Facebook urging families to be alert for children participating in the ‘Benadryl Challenge’.

“Never say it can’t happen to you. The children say, “the other person was fine, so I’m fine”. Always try to know what your children are doing or doing.

Chloe’s funeral was held at the First United Methodist Church in Blanchard, Oklahoma on August 27.

“Chloe was in her second year at Lycée Blanchard, where she was actively involved in the directory and the track,” according to an obituary.

“Chloe loved music, dancing, video games and being a social butterfly with her friends.

“Chloe was an extremely intelligent young woman and dreamed of one day going to college and becoming a lawyer.

“During this trip, she was looking forward to her first kiss, to get her driver’s license and one day to go to Paris.

“Chloe’s faith kept her steadfast; she always stood up for what she believed in and she showed kindness and compassion in everything she did.

The “Benadryl Challenge” is a new game in which teens on TikTok are encouraged to take as many allergy medicine as needed to hallucinate or trip.

But health experts warn that taking too much Benadryl can be fatal.

“The dose that can cause hallucination is very close to the dose that can cause something potentially fatal,” said Scott Schaeffer, director of the Oklahoma Center for Poison and Drug Information.

An overdose of Benadryl leaves a person vulnerable to heart attacks, strokes, seizures, brain damage and even death.

Chloe was participating in the so-called 'Benadryl Challenge', a new game in which teens on TikTok are encouraged to take as many allergy pills as needed to hallucinate or trip.

Chloe was participating in the so-called ‘Benadryl Challenge’, a new game in which teens on TikTok are encouraged to take as many allergy pills as needed to hallucinate or trip.

In May, three teenagers from Fort Worth, Texas, were hospitalized after swallowing excessive doses of Benadryl as part of the “challenge.”

One of the teenagers, a 14 year old named “Rebekah”, took 14 Benadryl tablets in the middle of the night on Remembrance Day.

‘It was scary. She had broken sentences, hallucinations. Her resting heart rate was 199, ”Katie, Rebekah’s mom, told Checkup.

“We took her to the local emergency room and they decided to transport her to Cook Children’s. “

Rebekah was admitted to Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth and spent the night there. Her heart rate returned to normal the next morning and she was released.

“What struck me is that three teens came for the same thing in a week,” said Amber Jewison, nurse practitioner at Cook.

“None of these patients were trying to hurt themselves. They all said they had seen videos on TikTok and were curious to try it out.

A spokesperson for TikTok told DailyMail.com that the social media platform first learned of the ‘Benadryl challenge’ in May and ‘quickly removed the very small amount of content we found’ .

The company said it “has been keeping tabs on this since and removing any new content – which, again, was in very low numbers.”

“The safety and well-being of our users is TikTok’s top priority,” the spokesperson said.

“As we make clear in our community guidelines, we do not allow content that encourages, promotes or glorifies dangerous challenges that could result in injury.

The 'Benadryl Challenge' is the latest health threatening fad that has taken hold among young people on the TikTok social media app

The ‘Benadryl Challenge’ is the latest health threatening fad that has taken hold among young people on the TikTok social media app

“While we haven’t seen this trend of content on our platform, we are actively removing content that violates our guidelines and blocking related hashtags to further discourage participation.

“We encourage everyone to exercise caution in their behavior, whether online or offline.

A spokesperson for Johnson & Johnson, the pharmaceutical giant that markets the Benadryl brand, told DailyMail.com: “The health and safety of people who use our products is our top priority.

“The BENADRYL TikTok trend is extremely worrying, dangerous and must be stopped immediately.

“As with any medication, abuse or misuse can lead to serious side effects with potentially lasting consequences, and BENADRYL products should only be used according to label directions.

“We strongly recommend that all medicines be kept out of the reach of children at all times.

“We are working with TikTok and our partners to do what we can to stop this dangerous trend, including removing content from social platforms that exhibit this behavior.

Benadryl is the brand name of the over-the-counter antiallergic drug known by the generic name of diphenhydramine.

A sedative antihistamine, it works to block the release of chemicals in the cells of the body that are released as part of the immune system’s response to an allergy.

The National Institutes of Health claim that antihistamines are used to treat allergies in addition to gastrointestinal conditions caused by excess stomach acids.

Benadryl is also an anticholinergic drug that affects the cholinergic nervous system, which regulates key bodily functions like saliva and tear production, urination, heart rate, body temperature, brain function, and eye function.

Taking too much Benadryl can have serious effects on your overall health.

“Just like an allergic reaction can affect multiple organ systems in the body, Benadryl can affect multiple organ systems,” says Ashanti Woods, a pediatrician at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore, to Health.

Earlier this year, the kids took part in the new 'Skull Breaker Challenge' which went viral on TikTok.  The practice involves three participants jumping straight up, with the two people on the side kicking inward to hit the person in the middle of their feet and over their head.

Earlier this year, the kids took part in the new ‘Skull Breaker Challenge’ which went viral on TikTok. The practice involves three participants jumping straight up, with the two people on the side kicking inward to hit the person in the middle of their feet and over their head.

Benadryl’s own website recommends that children under the age of 6 avoid taking it altogether.

Children 6 to 12 years old should only take one tablet every four to six hours, while anyone over 12 years old should not take more than 2 tablets every four to six hours – unless otherwise specified. ‘doctor. .

Excessive doses of Benadryl can have serious effects on the health of children and adults, who may experience high body temperature, confusion, blurred vision, nausea, vomiting, instability, high blood pressure, and pain. ‘hallucinations.

The National Capital Poison Center also warns of the extreme dangers of overdose when mixing antihistamines like Benadryl with other pain relievers and decongestants.

In recent years, young people on social media have taken part in dangerous viral ‘challenges’, including the ‘Skull Breaker Challenge’ and the ‘Tide Pod Challenge’, which have left a number of them hospitalized. and alarmed the parents.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here