Alabama had their second preseason scrum on Saturday.
While the fray was closed to media, here are some notes on the fray based on information gathered from sources at AL.com:
– The feedback is good for the quarters. While Mac Jones had an interception, which looks like security Daniel Wright was responsible, word is it was a second straight positive Saturday for Jones after a very strong performance in Crimson Tide’s simulated play session on September 5. Bryce Young had a touchdown pass of about 50 yards to fellow freshman Javon Baker.
– The young running backs from Alabama have done some good things, especially rookie Trey Sanders. The former five-star recruit has had some remarkable moments. As is Jase McClellan, a four-star freshman.
– Left tackle Alex Leatherwood did not participate in the scrum. Along with him, it looks like the main tackles in the first team were Evan Neal and Kendall Randolph.
– Five-star first-year outside linebacker Will Anderson continues to stand out, continues to cause trouble for Tide’s offensive linemen and continues to look set to make a big impact this season. It’s no exaggeration to say that Anderson may already be one of Alabama’s best and most talented defensive players.
– Looks like rookie Malachi Moore started in Star / Nickel place with the first team defense.
–As Nick Saban mentioned, Will Reichard was 4-for-5 on field goals with his only failure on a kick of about 55 yards.
Matt Zenitz is a senior SEC football reporter for the Alabama Media Group. Follow him on twitter @mzenitz.