Last update: Monday September 7, 2020, 3:08 PM
- A number of sites across Sunderland have announced temporary closures due to confirmed cases of Covid-19 over the weekend.
- 51 cases announced in Sunderland on Sunday, September 6 as part of the latest figures from Public Health England.
- Parts of some schools are announcing closures due to confirmed cases of the virus.
- Press briefing from public health directors for Sunderland and Durham on 28 positive cases of Covid-19 linked to charity football match.
3.10 p.m .: ‘Majority’ of cases in young people
When asked if there had been an increase in hospital admissions, Ms Gibson said: ‘We haven’t really seen this happen so far, I certainly have only been told about it. nothing.
“I don’t think we would necessarily expect that when we see the majority of cases among young people.
“What worries me is that it will pass from these younger people to their parents and grandparents and they are the ones who are most at risk for serious illness and ending up in the hospital.
“So not yet, but I think we need to watch that one carefully. “
3:10 p.m .: When could a local lockdown be considered?
When asked if the increase could lead to a local foreclosure, Ms Gibson said Sunderland saw people ‘socializing outside the home’ as more of a problem than different households visiting – unlike d ‘other places that may have seen a spike in cases. .
She explained: “It’s not necessarily the numbers, but it depends on what’s going on in terms of transmission.
“For example, we don’t see a lot of contact between different households.
“Where in some places you see people who shouldn’t visit each other, I wouldn’t recommend that in Sunderland at this time as we don’t seem to see this as a big deal.
“These are basically people who socialize outside the home.
“If people continue to be sane and don’t come together in their homes, we won’t need to do anything like this.
“People must continue to follow the advice they have done so well so far. “
3:05 pm: Sunderland City Council ‘Works With Sites’ To Keep People Safe
Ms Gibson said further local restrictions may be needed if specific issues are recognized during investigations – but such restrictions are NOT being considered at this time.
Instead, the public health team works alongside the sites to resolve any issues.
She said: “We put restrictions in place if the evidence tells us that’s what needs to happen. As we conduct our investigations, if we see specific issues, we may need to put restrictions in place.
“We’re NOT looking at this right now, but we’re working with sites to see how they can change what they’re doing.
“But we may have to think about putting restrictions in place. Not necessarily as we’ve seen elsewhere, but obviously if we can see that there are particular issues we will have to resolve them because we have a responsibility to our entire population.
3 p.m .: Increase expected in the next few days due to testing
When asked if we were going to see an increase in the next few days, Ms Gibson told the Echo: ‘I think we will definitely see it in the next few days as those infected get tested and get the results. . After that, I don’t really know.
“Ideally, if people do what they should be doing, we could be successful in controlling it and then we should see the cases start to decline again.”
2:55 p.m.: Sunderland sees ‘small groups’ as opposed to a large Covid-19 outbreak
Ms Gibson speaks to Echo reporter Poppy Kennedy about the coronavirus situation in Sunderland, following an increase in the number of cases.
She said on Monday: “There have been a lot of small groups – not a big outbreak. There are two, three or four that may be connected, which we often see in terms of households.
“What we are seeing now is that this is especially happening in reception places and especially among young people.
2:30 p.m .: Gillian Gibson on the cases of Covid-19
Ms Gibson said: “What we started to do this weekend is that we have contacted all the cases that are reported to us.
“We managed to contact 60 of them to try to understand if they are related and where they went before they got infected, but also where they have been since then – before they were tested.
“This way we can be sure that they haven’t been in any high-risk location and that will help us gather any cases that might arise.”
2:40 p.m .: Gillian Gibson, Director of Public Health for Sunderland, speaks to the Echo
In media interviews following 28 cases of Covid-19 linked to a charity football match at Burnside Working Men’s Club, she said: “We are definitely seeing more positive cases in the 19 age group. at 29 years – a significant increase.
“Especially compared to the start of the year when we saw a lot of elderly people.
“It’s positive in that they’re less likely to be seriously ill, otherwise they’ll pass it on to others.”
“So it’s very important that they follow social distancing not really for themselves but for their loved ones. “
2:15 p.m .: Last update from NHS England
Four more people who tested positive for the coronavirus have died in hospital in England, bringing the total number of confirmed deaths reported in hospitals to 29,611, NHS England said on Monday.
The patients were between 76 and 95 years old and all had known underlying health problems.
The dates of the deaths were all Saturday, September 5.
No deaths have been reported without a positive Covid-19 test result.
13h55: What has been said previously about the match at Burnside WMC?
Amanda Healy, director of public health for Durham, said in an earlier statement: “Contact tracing is ongoing with anyone considered to be close contact with someone who has tested positive, but we also ask anyone who was at the charity event on Sunday August 30 to self-isolate immediately until midnight on the 13th, unless contacted individually by NHS Test and Trace with further advice.
“We are also asking people in the community who have already had a test that came back negative to self-isolate for 14 days from the 30th as it can take up to 14 days for symptoms to appear.
“This is essential if we are to stop the spread of the virus in this community as quickly as possible. “
1:40 p.m .: Gillian Gibson and Amanda Healy speak to Echo at Burnside WMC
13:35: Precautions “not strict enough” during a charity football match
A statement was posted on the Burnside Working Men’s Club Facebook page on Monday regarding the number of confirmed cases of Covid-19 linked to a charity football match.
Here is the full statement:
Statement from the football team regarding the charity football match on August 30, 2020
“I would like to start by saying that the entire Burnside WMC football team wishes everyone affected by Covid-19, due to the events of August 30, a speedy return to good health.
“It is with deep regret and sadness that our charity football match has caused a significant increase in positive Covid-19 cases and testing in the DH4 / DH5 area. It was a football game planned to raise funds for an incredible charity group that is close to the heart of the club.
“I hope people will understand that if we knew then what we know now, this football game would never have happened. The club would also like people to support each other, instead of blaming it.
“The football club worked with Public Health England, with the names and contact details of everyone involved in the football match forwarded to the department, to facilitate the process of tracking and tracing.
“I admit that the precautions put in place were not strict enough. Going forward this will change to ensure that all matches played, at home or away, by the Burnside WMC will be played in the safest possible way, to ensure that something like this never happens. . again.
“I would like to reiterate that this event would never have happened if we had known then what we know now, and the day was planned with the best of intentions.
“Once again, I personally wish everyone who has made a speedy recovery.
1:30 p.m .: Press briefing on the Burnside Working Men’s Club
Amanda Healy, director of public health for Durham and Gillian Gibson, director of public health for Sunderland are due to brief the media shortly outside the Burnside Working Men’s Club in Houghton after 28 people who attended a event on August 30 have tested positive for Covid-19. .
1 p.m .: Reopening of universities still underway – Downing Street
Downing Street said the increase in coronavirus cases was “concerning” and warned that an increase in cases among young people usually leads to an increase in the population.
The Prime Minister’s official spokesperson said: “The increase in the number of cases is worrying and mainly affects young people.
“In general, an increase in cases among young people leads to an increase in the population as a whole.
“This is why it is so important that people maintain their social distance and not let this disease infect the older generations.”
Number 10 added that the reopening of universities should still continue despite the increase in coronavirus cases among young people and continued, “What we are doing is discussing with universities how to ensure that ‘they are as safe as possible for students and staff, and how to respond to an outbreak in or near a university. ”
12:45 p.m .: Call from the Secretary of Health for everyone to “play their part”
12:35 p.m .: Update – no more closures announced ⚠️
A number of schools in the Sunderland area have announced that certain age groups are unable to attend classes due to Covid-19, while bars and restaurants in the city are also closing for a thorough cleaning.