New Yokr City Council members Antonio Reynoso from Brooklyn and Keith Powers from Manhattan, along with six others, are currently listed as sponsors.
Council member Powers said there would be a hearing next week.
“Since the mayor hasn’t made the announcement yet, we’re going to take the lead and do what New Yorkers want: expand it,” he said.
The mayor of Blasio had previously set an end date of October 31 for alfresco dining, but his administration announced it would go in the fall.
Restaurant owners hope alfresco dining will continue as they finalize their indoor dining plans. Governor Andrew Cuomo cleared it to start in the city on Wednesday, September 30 with 25 percent capacity.
After reviewing health data, the capacity could reach 50% by November.
At the Butcher’s Shop on Park Avenue north of Union Square, they’re busy outside and getting ready inside. Managing Director Zorica Vukovic is excited about the possibilities.
“It has been a challenge. We have invested in all of these dividers, flowers, planters and cleaning supplies. It was all for good, ”she said.
Chef Daniel Boulud has planned a few surprises for the menu and decoration of his restaurant, Daniel on 65th Street East.
“I want to create a transition and an excitement for indoor dining. Twenty-five percent will keep us safe and we are taking all measures, ”he said.
Many restaurants have already placed orders for radiators and skylights.