Judge Orders Casino Company, Insurer To Pay $ 800 Million To Vegas Shooting Victims

0
57


A court on Wednesday approved a total of US $ 800 million in cash from casino company MGM Resorts International and its insurers to more than 4,400 relatives and victims of the Las Vegas shooting, the deadliest in recent history. United States.The action finalizes a deal announced earlier this month and settles dozens of lawsuits on the eve of the third anniversary of the shooting that left 58 dead and more than 850 injured at an outdoor concert near the complex of Mandalay Bay.

In her brief order, Clark County District Court Judge Linda Bell cited “the almost unanimous participation in the settlement of potential claimants.”

Authorities said more than 22,000 people were attending an open-air music festival when a gunman firing military-style weapons from the 32nd floor windows of Mandalay Bay rained rapid-fire bullets on the river. crowd.

MGM Resorts, owner of the hotel and the concert hall, did not accept any responsibility in the regulations. It will pay US $ 49 million, while its insurance companies will pay US $ 751 million.

“We are grateful that this decision brings families, victims and the community closer to the closure,” the company said in a statement. He marked the anniversary of the event on October 1, 2017, calling it a “time of great sadness and reflection”.

Payments expected by the end of the year

Memorial ceremonies are scheduled for Thursday at several venues in Las Vegas, including a reading of the names of those killed starting at 10:05 p.m. – when the first shots rang out.

Attorney Robert Eglet, the plaintiffs’ attorney who spent a year organizing the settlement with clients, law firms and lawyers in at least 10 states, said the amounts to be disbursed would be determined by two judges at the retirement and he hopes the payments will begin by the end of the year.

“We will send order notices. After 30 days, the $ 800 million will be deposited, ”Eglet said.

Eglet previously said that everyone involved “recognizes that there are no winners in a long, drawn-out litigation with multiple lawsuits where people and the community relive the event every time we take a case. ”

A line-by-line list of victims, identified by their initials only, spans more than 170 pages of a 225-page civil lawsuit filed on September 9 seeking compensation and punitive damages from MGM Resorts. He accused the casino company of negligence, wrongful death and liability in the 2017 shooting.

In this October 1, 2017 file photo, police stand at the scene of a shooting near the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino on the Las Vegas Strip. Local police and the FBI never determined the motive for the attack. (John Locher / Associated Press)

Millions of dollars could go to the most serious and permanent injuries, Eglet said, depending on factors such as age, number of dependents, type of injuries, previous and future medical treatments and location. ability to work.

A minimum of US $ 5,000 would go to each person who filed a claim for invisible injuries.

Court documents in the case do not mention the shooter, Stephen Paddock, who committed suicide before police approached.

Las Vegas police and the FBI have determined that the 64-year-old retired accountant and high-stakes poker player meticulously planned the attack and acted alone. They theorized that he may have sought notoriety, but said they never determined a clear motive for the attack.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here