France plans a national emergency text alert system by 2022

0
34


The government plans to deploy such a system between July 2021 and June 2022, he said Thursday, September 24.Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin called the system “revolutionary” and said 50 million euros had been set aside for the project.

The system will be based on two “proven” technologies, on the one hand that of “cell broadcasting”, and on the other hand geolocated SMS.

Used together, these “will allow the massive and rapid sending of priority messages over traditional communication methods,” according to a government report. In this way, it will be “possible to inform the population, in real time, of the actions to be taken”.

The device should be deployed “by the second half of 2021 in priority areas with a large population or at particular risk”, then throughout the country by June 2022.

The French Senate has been recommending the creation of such a system since 2010. Some other European countries already use a similar platform, notably the Netherlands, which has had one in place since 2012, and non-European countries such as Japan and the States -United.

The EU urges member states to introduce their own systems by June 2022.

In its report, the French government said: “The Interior Minister’s teams have already started working with mobile operators.”

France has already set up some sort of emergency alert system – a network of more than 2,000 sirens that must go off when an incident occurs. But ministers saw the existing technology as outdated and inefficient.

Remembering Rouen

The announcement of the new warning system comes nearly a year after the 2019 Lubrizol factory explosion in Rouen, Normandy, which saw a huge black cloud erupt over the city after nearly 10,000 tons of dangerous chemicals accidentally ignited.

(Photo: Le Parisien / @the Parisian / Twitter)

Read more: A French city on alert after the explosion of a chemical plant

Read more: Rouen offered rooms across France after toxic fire

Read more: Precautionary measures taken after the fire in a French factory

The factory was classified as a “Seveso” site, which means that it was a high risk and high security site containing many dangerous chemicals.

Mr. Darmanin was speaking at a press conference to honor and remember the incident, alongside the Minister of Ecology, Barbara Pompili.

Ms. Pompili said that in addition to the new alert system, the government would increase the number of inspections of hazardous and Seveso-classified industrial chemical storage facilities by 50% within five years. Yet she has not confirmed the 50 new inspector positions first announced by her ministry in June.

Related stories

Macron: France “will adopt 5G” as “country of innovation”

4G coverage of French municipalities without delayed reception

Should the French be worried about 5G?

Best telephone signal in France: is your city on the 2020 list?



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here