Fisher denies refusing to speak to Justice League investigator

0
96


Ray Fisher at the Justice League Premiere.

Ray Fisher at the Justice League Premiere.
Photo: Erma McIntyre (Getty Images)

Recently, Ray Fisher revealed that Warner Bros. is formally investigating his allegations regarding the behavior of Joss Whedon and Warner Bros. producers, including notably DC writer Geoff Johns, on the set of Justice League. Now Warner Bros. released a statement alleging that Fisher is not cooperating with this investigation, a claim Fisher denies.

Fisher’s claims originally appeared in July, when he denounced Whedon’s handling of the film on social media, saying the director fostered a hostile work environment, aided by producers Jon Berg, Geoff Johns and other unnamed Warner Bros. entities. Then, in early August, Fisher said that WarnerMedia, WB’s parent company, chose to launch an investigation, using third-party investigators, into the case, based on interviews with actors and the film crew.

Now Warner Bros. released a statement, shared by the Hollywood Reporter, alleging that Fisher did not cooperate with this investigation and did not speak to the WarnerMedia third-party investigator. The statement appears to be in direct response to a tweet Fisher made yesterday, in which he claimed DC Films chairman Walter Hamada “tried to throw Joss Whedon and Jon Berg under the bus in hopes that I would give in. to Geoff Johns. “

The statement from Warner Bros. claims that although Hamada and Fisher have spoken, Fisher’s account is inaccurate. In part it reads:

In July, representatives for Ray Fisher asked DC Films President Walter Hamada to speak to Mr. Fisher about his concerns during the production of “Justice League.” The two had previously spoken when Mr. Hamada asked him to reprise his role as Cyborg in Warner Bros. ‘next Flash movie, with other members of the Justice League. In their July conversation, Mr. Fisher recounted the disagreements he had with the film’s creative team regarding his portrayal of Cyborg, and complained that his suggested script revisions had not passed. Mr. Hamada explained that creative differences are an integral part of the production process and that the writer / director of a film ultimately has to be in charge of these issues. Notably, Mr. Hamada also told Mr. Fisher that he would bring his concerns to WarnerMedia so that they could investigate. At no time did Mr. Hamada ever “throw anyone under the bus,” as Mr. Fisher falsely claimed, or pass judgment on the production of the “Justice League,” in which Mr. Hamada was not involved, since the filming before Mr. Hamada was elevated to his current post.

G / O Media can get commission

The remainder of the statement goes on to state that Fisher “insisted that WarnerMedia hire an independent third party investigator” but that, despite multiple attempts, Fisher “refused to speak to the investigator.”

Responding on his Twitter today, Fisher denied these claims by Warner Bros., showing what screenshot of what appears to be an email sent on August 26 in connection with a preliminary meeting with the investigator. According to Fisher, the email was sent to both his associates and union officials at SAG-AFTRA. In the email, Fisher says that ” [The investigator]It’s definitely Warner Bros. Pictures, not Warner Media. Its findings will go directly and solely to Warner Bros. Legal Department. Pictures. He also had another person on the line that we were not told about. I told him I had to have a representative online to guarantee me. ”

Due to his concerns, it appears that Fisher has not met the investigator since. Given his ongoing work with Warner Bros. Pictures, including, as revealed by THR, a possible appearance in the upcoming Shine film, the desire to have a union representative present – a common and legally enforceable request for a unionized employee to speak to their employer – makes sense.

He also shared a video, originally posted on August 21, explaining his intention to screen the hired third-party investigator to determine his ability to conduct a fair investigation. The implication being that this investigation has so far failed to meet Fisher’s standards.

The problem here is also complicated by the fact that Warner Bros. is trying to market a new version of Justice League –the Snyder Cut version, re-edited and with new special effects directed by the film’s original director, Zack Snyder, who initially stepped away from the project due to a personal family tragedy. This film sees its release in 2021 in four parts. Fisher did not attend WB’s DC Fandome event and had only limited involvement in promoting the film.

We contacted Warner Bros. for clarification and SAG-AFTRA for clarification of its involvement. We will update this post if we have a response.


To find out more, be sure to follow us on our Instagram @io9dotcom.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here