Content of the article continued
During the press conference, Ford was asked about Halloween and whether special-effects would be allowed this year. While noting that October 31st was still a long way off and saying, ‘let’s play by ear and see what happens next month’, he also said: ‘we have to be so, so careful … we have to take care of the children, it is a priority.
“It just makes me nervous, the kids are going door to door. I prefer not to. It would be a shame, but we will verify this and I will advise you through our public health team.
Across Ontario, 170 more people have tested positive for COVID-19, including 12 in Ottawa, the province said Thursday.
Fifty-five new cases were reported in Toronto, 28 in York and 22 in Peel. Of the 34 health units in the province, 14 recorded no new cases in the past day, while 28 reported five or fewer.
There have been 43,855 cases in total since the outbreak of the pandemic.
The province reported that 142 cases had been resolved in the previous 24 hours and the overall resolution rate remained at 90%.
Another person has died in Ontario after contracting COVID-19, bringing the number of lives caused by the disease across the province to 2,814 since the start of the pandemic.
As of Thursday, there were 54 people hospitalized for the disease, including 14 in intensive care and nine on ventilators.
Ottawa Public Health reported 12 new cases Thursday, up from 17 new cases Wednesday and 37 Tuesday.
This brings the total number of cases in the capital region to 3,163. There are 226 active cases.