The 57-year-old was taken off the air before the fifth inning of Game 2.
WATCH | Brennaman suspended for using homophobic slang on the air in August:
“The Reds respect Thom Brennaman’s decision to leave the broadcast booth and applaud his sincere efforts to reconcile with the LGBTQ + community,” Reds CEO Bob Castellini said in a statement. “The Brennaman family has been an integral part of Reds history for nearly fifty years. We sincerely thank Thom for bringing the excitement of Reds baseball to millions of fans during his years at the stand. ”
The son of Hall of Fame broadcaster Marty Brennaman, Thom has called major league games for 33 years and has worked for Fox Sports for 27 years, mainly covering baseball and football.
Fox Sports had previously said Brennaman would not call NFL games because of the insult.
Fox released a statement on August 20 in which “We are moving forward with our NFL schedule that will not include it. The network also said Brennaman’s remarks were “odious, unacceptable and unrepresentative of Fox Sports’ values.”