Business began between January 21 and August 26, the agency reported on Thursday. Of the 41 infected, four hospitalizations were reported. Those infected are between two and 74 years old.
The mushrooms, distributed by Wismettac Asian Foods, Inc. in Sante Fe Springs, Calif., Were sold only to restaurants and not directly to consumers.
The company voluntarily recalled the mushrooms for potential salmonella on Wednesday after the California Department of Public Health discovered the presence of salmonella in the product, according to a Food and Drug Administration announcement.
Wood Ear Mushrooms are also commonly referred to as Kikurage Mushrooms, Dried Black Mushrooms, Dried Mushrooms, or Mu’er / Mu Er / Mu-Err Mushrooms.
“Customers can ask restaurants where the mushrooms came from before ordering to avoid eating the recalled mushrooms,” the CDC said on its website.
Four disease clusters have been discovered at restaurants serving ramen in three different states. Eight out of nine people linked to these clusters reported eating wood ear fungi in ramen, the agency reported.
Most people infected with salmonella develop diarrhea, fever and stomach cramps six hours to six days after being exposed to the bacteria, the CDC said. It usually lasts four to seven days and most people recover without treatment.
However, salmonella can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, the frail or elderly, and others with weakened immune symptoms.
In general, dried mushrooms should always be reconstituted using boiling water to kill any pathogens, the CDC said. This advice does not apply to recalled mushrooms, which must be discarded.