The man, in his 80s, was eating his dinner Friday night when he became annoyed by a fly buzzing around him.
He took the electronic fly and aimed it, because he did not know that a gas cylinder was leaking at his home in the village of Parcoul-Chenaud in the Dordogne.
A reaction occurred between the swat and the gas, causing an explosion and part of his kitchen to explode.
The explosion also damaged part of its roof and the house is currently uninhabitable.
Somehow, the man managed to escape the disaster with just a burn to his hand.
His family is repairing the house while he resides at a local campsite, South West media reported.
We don’t know what happened to the fly.