No close contact was identified at the school and the person contracted the disease outside of the school. The risk of exposure is considered low, according to the press release from the province.
The school has closed the areas used by the person in question and will only reuse them after they have been cleaned, the statement said.
A letter about the exhibit has been sent to parents, the province said. Other than the person with COVID-19, no one at school needs to isolate themselves.
Saturday’s press release again highlighted the ‘worrying’ increase in the number of COVID-19 cases in Winnipeg, with officials urging city residents to stick to the basics, including hand washing and home care in the event of illness.
Winnipeg’s active caseload hit a new high on Saturday, according to provincial data, with a total of 252 cases, more than three-quarters of the province’s 331.
New cases in Fisher River
Meanwhile, three new cases of COVID-19 have been identified in the Fisher River Cree Nation, according to statements signed by Chief David Crate and leaders on the community site Friday.
The update brings the number of cases identified on the First Nation to four, according to the last statement from the First Nation.
Manitoba’s five-day test positivity rate, a moving average of the number of COVID-19 tests that come back positive, is down slightly to 1.6%, according to the provincial government press release.
There are now 10 people hospitalized with COVID-19 in Manitoba, including three in intensive care.
To date, a total of 1,558 cases of illness have been detected in the province; 1,211 of those people have recovered and 16 have died, the statement said.
Earlier on Saturday, a spokesperson for Brian Pallister said the premier was monitoring symptoms of COVID-19 after meeting with the premier of Quebec, who is now self-isolating after coming into contact with a confirmed case of disease.
Pallister had a “working lunch” with Quebec Premier Francois Legault and other Conservative premiers in Ottawa on Friday, a spokesperson for Pallister’s office said in an emailed statement to CBC News.
Legault announced later on Friday that he was voluntarily self-isolating after meeting with Federal Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole on Monday.
He made the announcement after O’Toole announced he had tested positive for COVID-19.
Pallister did not meet with O’Toole in Ottawa, the Prime Minister’s spokesperson said. All public health protocols were followed, including the wearing of masks and physical distancing, during the first ministers meeting, the spokesperson added.
Members of Pallister’s team are also self-monitoring for symptoms of illness caused by the new coronavirus, the spokesperson said.
Pallister and Legault, along with Premier of Ontario Doug Ford and Premier of Alberta Jason Kenney, were in Ottawa Friday to push the federal government to provide $ 28 billion in additional funding to cover rising costs health care.
Pallister said on Friday it was important to be in Ottawa before the next Speech from the Throne, scheduled for September 23.
“The point is, we’re going to have to learn to live with COVID and do our jobs safely, and that’s exactly what we’re doing here,” he told CBC. As it happens. “My plan is to stay. I have a number of meetings next week on other topics as well. ”
As of Friday, 1,488 more COVID-19 tests were performed in Manitoba, bringing the total in the province to 162,961.