– India reported a record daily jump of 77,266 infections, bringing its total to 3.39 million.
The country reported the highest daily number of cases in the world since August 7, according to a Reuters tally.
– German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said the pandemic is likely to worsen in the coming months.
– Tour de France teams may be excluded if two riders in the same outfit test positive for Covid-19 within 7 days of the race, the Union Cycliste Internationale said.
– Hungary will close its borders to foreigners from September 1 and Hungarians returning from abroad will have to enter quarantine, the Prime Minister’s chief of staff said.
NORTH AND CENTRAL AMERICA
– Donald Trump is ready to sign a $ 1.3 trillion coronavirus relief bill, a senior Trump adviser said today, marking an increase of $ 300 billion from an initial offer of $ 1 trillion from the White House and Senate Republicans.
– Four people at the Republican National Convention in North Carolina this week tested positive for the coronavirus, officials said.
– Cases have now exceeded 7 million in Latin America – the region with the most infections in the world.
MIDDLE EAST AND AFRICA
– The Gambia extended its state of emergency for 21 days as infections soared.
Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen unit will begin mid-term trials for its coronavirus vaccine in Spain, the Netherlands and Germany next week, Spain’s health minister said.
– Sinovac Biotech Ltd’s CoronaVac vaccine candidate was approved in July for emergency use in a program in China to vaccinate high-risk groups such as medical staff, a person familiar with the matter said .
* Germany can afford any measures agreed to to help cushion the economic impact of the virus, Chancellor Merkel said, adding that it was right for other EU states to benefit more from aid to coronavirus than Germany.
– The French president said that 15 billion euros will be made available in France’s recovery plan to stimulate innovation and industrial relocation.