U.S. Supreme Court votes not to halt construction of Trump’s border wall – National

0
19


The Supreme Court on Friday refused by a 5 to 4 vote to halt the construction by the Trump administration of parts of the border wall with Mexico following a recent lower court ruling that the administration improperly diverted money to the project.The court’s four liberal justices dissented, saying they would have banned construction while a legal challenge continues, after a federal appeals court ruled in June that the administration illegally avoided the Congress by transferring funds from the Department of Defense.

Read more:

Part of Donald Trump’s “practically impenetrable” border wall destroyed and lands in Mexico

“The court’s decision to let construction continue nonetheless, I fear, may function, in fact, as a final judgment,” Judge Stephen Breyer wrote in a brief dissent for the Liberals.

Friday’s order means the court is not even likely to consider the merits of the matter before the November election, as work on the wall continues.

The story continues under the ad

Last summer, at an earlier stage of the case, judges also split 5-4 along ideological lines to allow the administration to begin construction using US $ 2.5 billion in funds from the Department of Defense.








Part of Trump’s new border wall falls in Mexico

Part of Trump’s new border wall falls in Mexico

This allowed President Donald Trump to move forward on a major campaign pledge of 2016 as his run for a second term approaches. The administration wanted to use the money to replace a total of 208 miles of dilapidated or obsolete fencing in New Mexico, Arizona and California. As of mid-July, 148 kilometers had been traveled according to US Customs and Border Protection.

Following the latest appeal court ruling, the wall challengers have returned to the High Court to demand a stop to construction.

The Trump administration opposed the request and said it would file documents in August asking the Supreme Court to hear arguments in the case.

The story continues under the ad

Read more:

Trump’s border wall to take money from military schools, daycare centers: Pentagon

The case has its origins in the 35-day partial government shutdown that began in December 2018. Trump ended the shutdown after Congress gave him about $ 1.4 billion in funding for the border wall, but it was far less than the $ 5.7 billion he was looking for. . Trump then declared a national emergency to take money from other government accounts to use them to build sections of the wall.

At the time, the money Trump identified included US $ 2.5 billion in Defense Department money, US $ 3.6 billion from military construction funds, and US $ 600 million from the Defense Fund. confiscation of Treasury Department assets.

The Supreme Court case involved only US $ 2.5 billion in Defense Ministry funds. The United States Civil Liberties Union, which sued the Trump administration on behalf of the Sierra Club and the Southern Border Communities Coalition, has said it will seek to demolish sections of the wall that were built with this money.

Read more:

Trump to use $ 3.6 billion in defense money to build wall, “slap” the military: Senator

“All of the lower courts reviewing the matter have ruled President Trump’s border wall illegal, and the Supreme Court’s interim order does not settle the case. We will soon be back before the Supreme Court to end Trump’s xenophobic border wall once and for all, ”said Dror Ladin, lawyer for the ACLU National Security Project, in a statement following the report. ‘court order Friday.

The story continues under the ad

The Supreme Court is on hiatus for the summer, but is acting on some urgent points. He will resume hearing business in October.

© 2020 The Canadian Press



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here