“There is credible evidence that leads me to believe that ByteDance… could take actions that threaten to undermine the national security of the United States,” the order read.
The original order likely would have forced Apple to remove TikTok from the App Store, potentially worldwide. The latest order gives ByteDance more time to work out the details of selling TikTok’s US operations to a US company like Microsoft. The original deadline for such a deal was September 20, but ByteDane will now have until November 12.
Additionally, as part of the new executive order, Trump says ByteDance will destroy all TikTok data associated with United States users and notify the Committee on Foreign Investments in the United States when this process is complete.
Even with this new executive order, TikTok likely still anticipates a legal challenge to the Trump administration’s efforts. Last week, ByteDance said such an order from the US government showed “no adherence to the law.”
Meanwhile, Trump yesterday offered a response to Apple’s concerns that a separate WeChat ban could impact iPhone sales. Trump doubled down on his national security concerns and said a simple “whatever” to Apple’s concerns. At present, it appears that the original 45-day decree still applies to Tencent.
FTC: We use automatic income generating affiliate links. Plus.
Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more information on Apple: