The development came after Trump issued an executive order on Aug. 14, forcing ByteDance to cede its video-sharing interests. TikTok application operations in the United States within 90 days.”There is credible evidence that leads me to believe that ByteDance … could take action that threatens to undermine the national security of the United States,” the US president said in the order.
The new order came after Trump signed an earlier executive order. The previous order could have forced US-based app stores to stop distributing the TikTok app if ByteDance failed to come to an agreement to release it within 45 days.
According to the latest command, ByteDance is expected to destroy all of its copies of TikTok data attached to US users.
Earlier this month, US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo said the Trump administration was “working hard” to protect Americans from threats from “untrustworthy vendors” such as TikTok and WeChat, which he wants to remove. American app stores such as those operated by Apple and Google.
US politicians have repeatedly criticized TikTok, owned by Beijing-based start-up ByteDance, as a threat to national security because of its ties to the Chinese Communist Party.
China and the United States are at odds on a variety of issues, including Hong Kong’s National Security Law, the South China Sea, the coronavirus and trade.
India’s Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEITY) last month banned 47 apps, which were variants and cloned copies of the 59 apps banned earlier in June.
These banned clones include Tiktok Lite, Helo Lite, SHAREit Lite, BIGO LIVE Lite, and VFY Lite.
The 59 applications, most of which were Chinese, had been banned by the Indian government in light of available information that they were engaged in activities “prejudicial to the sovereignty, integrity and defense” of the country.
The ban came amid the standoff between Indian and Chinese troops in eastern Ladakh.